A critical look at the Wichita TV news

Friday, August 1, 2008

From the Mailbag

I was holding off on this topic for awhile, but I got a comment asking my opinion on a "fill-in" anchor on KSN:



Hal...what do you think about KSN Aileen Simborio?



I wondered what exactly Aileen did at the station, because I would see her every once in awhile, but not on a routine basis. I then discovered online, that she anchors the news for Western Kansas. Aileen might be fine doing news for Western Kansas, but should not be filling in for Anita. That is not a slam on those people out there, but I have seen those newscasts before (without Aileen) and the anchors don't have to interact with anyone on camera, so "happy talk" isn't a concern so Aileen probably would do OK with that. Aileen has been filling in for Anita on the 5,6 and 10PM newscasts all this week and did as well a few weeks ago. During that first stint, I didn't think she would get another chance at it, so I was surprised to see her once again in the anchor chair this past Monday. As much as I am not a fan of Anita, and I have written about that before on this blog, I think Anita is more watchable than Aileen. Anita does comes off colder, however she comes off more professional. Aileen doesn't come off as a human, but rather as a teleprompter reading the news with an occasional coo or giggle. KSN might be better off scripting her "happy talk" in the prompter, because all you get now if she tries to interact with Jim Kobbe or fill-in weatherman Leon Smitherman at 10 are awkward giggles and "right" or "thanks." Those 2 guys have set Aileen up for some great interaction this week, but she just fails and drops the ball all the time. I question why weekend anchor Anthony Powell doesn't fill-in or shuffle things around and let morning anchor Stephanie Bergman fill-in on the main casts.

While I am talking about new anchors, I have been impressed by new KAKE hire Caroline Brady. She appears to be filling in for Jemelle Holopirek. While she doesn't have an overly flashy or take charge delivery, its mild mannered and worked well with Mike Iuen this week. According to the KAKE website she will be anchoring the weekend morning show. I will say it should be a huge improvement over former weekend morning anchor Rachel Phillips. -Hal

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Way to avoid your favorites over at KAKE and KSN dropping the ball on the missing girl story. Also great job calling KAKE out on their cheap shots recently. It's nice to finally know where your bias lies.

Anonymous said...

Hal:

I have to disagree on the watchability (is that a word?) of Stephanie Bergman.

Everything that you said was a problem with Aileen, also plagues Stephanie, maybe even worse. She might be able to do the happy talk, but it seems scripted and rigid, almost to a point it is forced to be relaxed talking to others.

As for Anthony, he does do a very good job, although at times seems too serious as well.

IMHO as a viewer a good anchor is someone we want to invite into our home because we feel good about them. They can make us laugh and make us cry, as well as make us think about what is going on around us.

Anne Meyer has filled in daytimes before and she has done a nice job, although needing to get experience in the comfort level of the job, she had the rapport with others going well.

Anonymous said...

What happened between her and Kozak a few weeks ago? I heard there was some tension at the desk after a comment?

Anonymous said...

correction, Kobbe, not Kozak. I only heard about it, but apparently something happened on the desk between her and Jim Kobbe (sports)

Anonymous said...

Although I totally disagree with Scottyt's opinion regarding Stephanie, I must admit, he is the only one with the ability to stay on topic... Amazing...

Anonymous said...

Hal- You always complain about Wichita news and say certain people are over-the-top. Everyone is doing it and frankly Wichita can stand to do more of it. Get away from your 50's-60's news thinking and get with Today.

Anonymous said...

Your girl Caroline couldn't even remember her name earlier this week to lead off the 11:30 show. Mike just looked at her like, are you kidding me? Yeah, she is about as watchable as grass growing.

Anonymous said...

This Caroline girl at KAKE seems awfully full of herself if you ask me. Just my opinion.