A critical look at the Wichita TV news

Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Economic Hardships = KAKE Promo

This weekend I nearly dropped a cup of coffee when I first heard it. Then I pretended I didn't hear it and that it was a joke. However later in the day, I saw a promo branded something to the effect that KAKE is your station for coping with the crisis. KAKE has always been the station of the 3 with the promos. I often think they are over the top, but if anything they get you to stop and watch or in my case nearly drop my coffee thinking about it. The promo talks about the rough economic times and how KAKE is your station to help the community through these times and make sure you watch KAKE daily for updates on coping with the crisis. Thankfully I am still employed, but if I wasn't and having economic problems I don't think I'd be depending on KAKE to help me cope with my crisis. Sure, when a disaster like a tornado or something hits, stations do promote their coverage, but in an economic one like this I think it may be a little inappropriate.

Abilene Fatal Fire - A tragedy in Abilene took place as a house fire killed three children on Saturday. On Monday the three stations covered the fire. I thought KSN did a nice job of putting a face with the story and talking to the children's grandmother who gave a little insight as to who the children were. I believe reporter Josh Haskell was the only one who talked to the grandparents on camera and gave us some insight. I don't normally see many stories from Haskell on a regular basis, but on the website he is listed as a Salina bureau reporter. He still has a ways to go in his career development, but a good get by Haskell for this story. KAKE, didn't do bad trying to personalize the story without a family member. They went to the family's church and I thought reporter Abby Barnett did a nice job taking what she had and making a decent story out of it. I haven't been a big fan of Abby's in past posts, but between KAKE and KWCH, I thought she did the best. KWCH's two stories on the topic had the church angle and even a next door neighbor, but I thought they really stuck to the basics, which isn't necessarily a bad thing. You definitely knew what happened from the stories, however, with the way it was presented, a viewer could have gotten just as much out of Roger and Cindy reading over some video and a quick interview from a fire official. -Hal

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Should KAKE be helping the community through Economic Hardship...or should the community be helping KAKE through Economic hardship?
In all seriousness, is Local Television in better shape than the community at large? I don't think so.

Anonymous said...

It depends on which station you are talking about.

Anonymous said...

Josh Haskell did a good job. Though, it's just another example of how sometimes you win, sometimes you lose. You can't take these day-to-day races too seriously. But yes, he deserves credit, especially as a bureau reporter.