A critical look at the Wichita TV news

Friday, March 30, 2007

Weathermen do not need to fake they are busy

Friday's 10PM newscasts didn't offer anything of merit, but did offer an interesting case study of how to cover weather. After black hole technical glitches on KWCH, they along side KAKE went the route of showing the typical places that always have puddles after a day's worth of rain. KSN went the route of looking back at Yesterday and the high number of tornadoes this week. I am not sure which plan I liked better, but I know one thing. I don't like a station meteorologist, I just heard on the weather segment, reappear in a story about weather. I know I mentioned this in an earlier post, but KSN showed this goofy Achilles of theirs, again on Friday. It was made even worse by the AWFUL performance of KSN Backup - Backup - Backup meteorologist Andrew Kozak. While Freeman was getting more face time (like he needs it) in Dana Hertneky's story, Junior weather guesser Kozak is behind Freeman looking all busy writing on a pad of paper and then he has this look of stupor or maybe I should say constipation. I hope the weather story will be posted soon on KSN.com, because it was truly a poor acting performance to notice. A note to Andrew, don't quit your day job, well on second thought, maybe you should. -Hal

2 comments:

ColvinSanders said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
ColvinSanders said...

I think Andrew is a stand up meteorologist and that was maybe a bit harsh. He is KSNs weekend guy, and I think does a good job. Not sure about the constipation look on that story you are talking about, but nonetheless give him a bit more credit. My wife and I really only watch channel 3 and she recently met him at an Easter event and said he was a real nice guy.