A critical look at the Wichita TV news

Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Wichita TV News 101

I have received a similar comment like this one a couple of times over the last month:



Anonymous said...
What size market is Wichita?Now, I'm curious what Wichita intern reporters make. Is Wichita a stepping stone for most professions? Engineering, business or medical? Seems like the big bucks are elsewhere.



So I thought I'd open this up to comments from you who are in the business in Wichita or those from other markets who read this blog. First my comments:



I have said this many times and some view this as a shot at stations here and the reporters here. Although Wichita has always seen itself as a stepping stone for some, many made and still do make their careers here in Wichita. I think increasingly Wichita is becoming or at least seems as a first stop, rather than 2nd or 3rd stop, for some reporters. A few years ago, a good reporter could probably make it here after 1-2 years maybe even 3-4 before landing here. Today and especially more so in the future, the move of Wichita to a starter's market will have a lot to do with the economics and business pressures of local TV. You ask about the market size of Wichita. Wichita actually drops two places for the 2008 classifications as done by Nielsen to #69. A real quick overview. NY is #1, LA #2, Chicago #3, Dallas #5, Denver #18, Kansas City #31, Oklahoma City #45, Tulsa #60, Topeka #139, Joplin #145 and St. Joe #201. To be honest your best bet may be markets like St. Joe, Joplin and Topeka or even a bureau of a Wichita station to start. It might be rough, but you may learn more there than you did in college. As for salaries I don't know, so I would open it up to comments. Obviously the more experience and the higher the market, means more money, but its important to say the higher the market, may not mean that the job experience can be better. I think some here in a middle market like Wichita might argue that about jumping up. They have families, (some don't) and like their communities they live in and are perfectly happy at where they are at. As far as the term, "intern reporter," I am a little confused. Maybe that's a common term. I would assume that means basically a rookie reporter. If you are referring to interns, most in any aspect of the media business, large or small market, aren't paid. Like I said I don't know much about salaries, but I have heard stories in small markets of reporters commonly being out earned by waitresses.
As for you readers who are in the business, since you are in the field, what should this person know about the basics of the business? Any help on a rough guide to salaries in a market this size? I tried to stay off my soap box, somewhat. Please comment on anything I left out or you think I am wrong with. -Hal

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

hal, Great post. Question though. Being a very big weather market (unofficially I guess) do you think it'll trend to first stop for meteorologists as well? I ask because I believe there are 2 vacant spots here at my station, and at another one in town. After something like the Greensburg tornado, it makes you wonder if stations can even take the chance to go cheap on weather.

WichitaMedia said...

Interesting point about the meteorologists. In someways, weather is one area which has changed in thelast 20 years in an opposite direction with the move of stations using actual meteorologists. 25 years ago some of the goto guys in a market weren't meteologists or had an "AMS" seal. Often times wether people got into it on accident by wanting to be in TV news and filled in a few times, did a good job and had a great career as a "weatherman" and did well with weather. Anon #1's point on the Greensburg tornado is an interesting one. The meteorologists definitely gave out much needed warning the night of the storm and show their importance. However, with the way the industry is cutting corners, you can never say never. Some company may say the automated warnings of the NWS flashing on a screen with a radar image are good enough and save money in the process. I think this is a bad move, because of any part of the news, you watch weather for the personality and often times the weather people often are big draws or turnoffs for a station. -Hal

Anonymous said...

Take a look at the bios of all the stations... seldom is it a first stop.

Anonymous said...

It wont trend as a first stop for meteorologists unless they are #4 or #5 or just weather producing. Wichita is reminding me more of Oklahoma City every day where the weather departments grow and become larger then life while the news departments still seem ordinary.

Anonymous said...

Hal-
I've noticed lately that you are more likely to take up having readers comment on various stories on decisions the local stations make. I think the coverage of the trial of the man accused of shooting the QT clerk would be an interesting topic. In court today the jury was shown the QT surveliance video of the actual shooting. Obviously the stations couldn't and shouldn't show the moment of impact. But from watching the 3 stations they all had different ways of handling it. KWCH showed all but the actual moment. They showed the video in real action, the gun actually coming up and then froze the video. KAKE showed a little less and video of the victim walking moments before it all happened, but did show a dark stain which probably was blood and it appears a glimpse of the stretcher as it was exiting. KSN either wasn't there are looked like it didn't run the video. I think KWCH probably went a tad too far showing the gun up and aimed and freezing it there. Although KAKE might still have shown a little too much I think they did the best of the 3. I'd like to know if KSN was there and if so I think they might have been a tad too conservative. What does everyone think?

Anonymous said...

I'm curious how much producers, reporters and photogs in the market make.

I have 4 years experience producing newscasts and I make 29k producing for one of the stations. Anyone else care to share?

Anonymous said...

I think Wichita is not a starter market, but I think the bureaus confuse the career ladder rungs.

I worked my butt off for 2 years in another market before coming here, and I know I'm not alone. So to have someone say my first two years don't count and I'm back in a starter market hurts.

I think the bureaus are the first job for many people; which isn't a great thing, because these positions are often the talent who need the most feedback, and get the least. And because the main newsrooms often need someone to fill in quickly, they bring in their bureau reporters, often before they're ready. I also think management just needing a body on the cheap has also lowered the quality of the (occasional) newscast, and it hurts the overall product the rest of us work hard to present well.

However, by and large, we do have qualified reporters in this market -- we also just happen to have a bunch of bosses who need a cheap body fast, and that's why we have some of the people on air.

Just my thoughts.

Anonymous said...

I do believe every meteorologist in this market has experience enough to be here. The interesting thing is that the 3 main guys are pretty polarized from what I hear and see as far as people liking them. Interesting also that there are 2 spots open. I know KAKE is one, did KSN lose someone or KWCH? I see everyone on both of those stations that I expect to see, unless I'm not watching close enough.

Anonymous said...

As to anon's #4 comment on the QT shooting trial and saying KSN didn't show any of the surveilance tape. Posted on their web site is a blog which explains their position for not showing it. Its respectable for them not to do it, maybe a tad overboard, but still commendable they took a stand.

http://www.ksn.com/news/local/7258401.html

Anonymous said...

There are at least 2 photographer openings at KSN.

Anonymous said...

I am a photographer working in this market with 5 years news shooting experience and I make 26,200/yr. Who's next?

And does anyone agree that photographers do not deserve to be paid the least of anyone else in the newsroom?

Anonymous said...

Im an anchor, 4 years experience, making $50,350

Anonymous said...

reporter - two years 36+ and yes photographers and producers are what makes the news happen... talent just gets the credit

Anonymous said...

I am a photographer in this market. Since this is my 1st market, I may grateful not to have had to work in market 201. Having said that, I believe that the learning curve has been steeper. Not having the opportunity to make the mistakes on a smaller scale. I also firmly believe that if this is going to be your first market, you must be willing to work twice as hard for half as much, just to make it.

Anonymous said...

I graduated in '89 with a degree in Broadcast Journalism. Did an internship at Channel 3 for the summer, and went in to radio news. At the time I was bringing home $825 a month for me & my wife.

I know this sounds funny, but I decided to leave the profession and become a teacher to make more money.

Today, I am still teaching and am making double what I would as a photographer (my real talent) or as a producer and with only 9 months work. (By the way I don't complain about teachers pay.)

I miss the profession, but after seeing the posts about some of the wages for Wichita, I am glad I made the change. And I have to say that I respect you guys for sticking it out to do something you love!