A critical look at the Wichita TV news

Thursday, September 6, 2007

Reader Request

Anon #7 from the previous post wanted my thoughts on KSN going to a full hour of news at Noon, NBC adding a fourth hour of the Today show, and moving "Regis and Kelly" to 11AM. Lets go to the later first. I could really care less when Regis and Kelly runs because I never see them and not a real fan of the show. But if the Noon show ratings go up, I hope they give Regis some credit. Correct me if I am wrong, but I think the lead-in now to the Noon show are paid infomercials.

As for NBC adding a 4th hour of today, I seem to remember when the idea was first hatched a year or more ago, some affiliates were upset because it would interfere with local ad time. Is this correct? I guess if KSN is running infomercials now at 11, you would think that would cut off that revenue, although its much better for the station not to run paid stuff before a newscast, even if it is Noon.

As for the soon to be hour long Noon show. I wasn't aware it was happening, although I think a commenter said something about it awhile back. I checked on the TV Guide web site listings and sure enough starting next week it will be a full hour. Maybe it has something to do with salvaging some of the local ad time and revenue lost (if indeed some is lost) from the 4th hour of Today. For my dollar, as much as I am pro Stephanie (she is my favorite anchor on KSN, male or female) I still will watch Kim Setty on KWCH. Thinking more about this topic, I think KSN had an hour long show a number of years ago and that was a time when they had more staff. Many days they are barely able to get the day's news on. Take example, Wednesday at 6PM, when the NAACP announced they are asking the FBI and the Department of Justice to investigate the Wichita Police Department. KAKE and KWCH were live, while KSN barely had mention. Now I will say the other two's coverage might have been slightly over doing it, but does KSN have staff to devote to a Noon audience which has to be less than their evening newscasts, even for KSN, and still cover all of the day's events? Curious to hear your views and answers to some of the questions I asked in the post. -Hal

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Did anybody catch the Thursday 10PM newscast on KWCH. Every station was reacting to a police car which apparently had its back windshield knowcked out with rocks. Did you notice KWCH first went to a phoner with Linda Mares? Now the situation seemed very confusing watching all 3 stations. Linda didn't to terrible but you could definitely here a lot of confusion in her voice. Then after a few minutes, they go back to the scene with a live picture and Kim Wilhelm is reporting, no Linda and no mention of her being there before. What happened to Linda? Did she stink so bad they needed a reinforcement or did she just happen to be in the area when it all went down and was there until Kim could get there?

Anonymous said...

The latter.

Anonymous said...

Does anybody have any idea what happened to Lindsey Butor at KWCH? I heard that she got canned. What gives?

Anonymous said...

KSN doesn't have the staff to handle it...it will burn them out even more.

Anonymous said...

Lindsey did not get fired.

Anonymous said...

Yes...what happened to Lindsey?

Anonymous said...

Lindsey was being stalked by a weirdo and quit the biz