A critical look at the Wichita TV news

Monday, October 29, 2007

Jail Break and Weekend Happenings

I thought I would create a separate post here for reactions on the El Dorado prison break coverage. I thought KWCH did it best, although if I was actually making the decisions I don't know how I would have reacted to the news. I might have backed off of it at first. Two people breaking out is big news. If 2 break out you have to wonder, how and if someone else is involved. Now it looks like a former employee of the prison is involved and that makes it an even bigger story. Thinking more about this no matter if they were assisted or not, a prison escape is news and especially on a sleepy Sunday. Although there was probably more news this weekend than most others, that shouldn't be looked as an excuse for not covering this appropriately. Was going back to the story in the newscast necessary? Well, the station would say it is for the public's good to spread the word prisoners have escaped out to the public. TV news people amongst each other would say its about making sure they stay out in front of the story and maintaining a message to the public that they are covering the story. I definitely think it was necessary to recap the story at the end of the cast. I didn't get to see this morning's early casts and am curious if stations brought reporters in for the morning shows about the prison escape.
Also I am curious no one has commented on KSN anchor/reporter Paul Petite's future departure to Wesley hospital as VP for marketing and public relations. It kind of caught me by surprise when I read it in Carrie Renger's column in the Wichita Eagle this weekend.
http://kansas.com/business/rengers/story/212035.html
According to the column, it is interesting he said he would have probably stayed at KSN if he had remained as a full-time anchor. The column says he now is a reporter, when he isn't anchoring the 5PM show. I probably could have created two separate posts for these topics. -Hal

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Will KSN ever find a partner for Anita. And why can't they? Is it her?

Anonymous said...

Rumors are that KSN did not renew Paul's contract and let him stay at the station until he found something else. Looks like he found something much better. Congrats Paul.

Anonymous said...

I think it was absolutely necessary to update it. El Dorado is a maximum security prison. It's where Rader and the Carr Brothers will spend the rest of their days. It's not like its a county jail where someone was arrested for shoplifting. These are dangerous criminals and the fact that the stations were the only ones giving out information because the prison wasn't is a story in and of itself.

Anonymous said...

Paul will be making better money and of course have better hours.
I don't blame him.

Anonymous said...

Was 12 the only one to talk with Goff's mother? The interview was moving and I didn't see if anyone else had it.