A critical look at the Wichita TV news

Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Obama's Visit to Kansas

I thought the coverage of the Obama visit was pretty even on all three stations, however it might appear a little different by the time you watched the 10PM newscast. KAKE had "the exclusive" interview with the candidate. Jeff Herndon did the interview and it looked very professional. Herndon did OK although I thought the interview started to lag as he got into basketball. If you take "the exclusive" out of the mix, and coverage of the event itself, I thought it was pretty even. Everyone had the event itself and then of course had the features surrounding the event. KWCH and KSN, before the event looked like they might have an advantage as far as covering it live on their channels, because the speech was scheduled to start near the end of KWCH's Noon show and in the middle of the KSN hour long show. Obama was a little late to the appearance, thus pushed the start time past 1PM. KAKE of course had the cable channel 22 to put it up on and the rest all had their internet platforms. To those who watched the coverage, who had the best coverage? -Hal

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am blown away by Herndon and his utter disregard for professional conduct during this interview. He said "I hear you have chops on the court" "Do you like it in the paint?" and my favorite "I know you like hoop...." WTF man I mean seriously this man could be the next president and Jeff decides to go ghetto on him and talk like he is from Compton. This is why someone as immature and inexperienced as Jeff Herndon should under no circumstance do this caliber of interview. I feel bad for KAKE this ade them look stupid. Next time they need to send in Larry Hatteberg.

Anonymous said...

I watched the "exclusive" interview on KAKE last night and thought it was a great get on their part, until I stayed tuned to their channel and watched Nightline. I saw Nightline spend the day with Obama and their interview looked quite simmilar to that of KAKE's. Don't get me wrong, KAKE had Herndon there asking question for the KAKE part, but lets not get crazy. I think ABC's Nightline had more to do with KAKE getting the local "exclusive" as opposed to it being an all out hustle on KAKE's part in arranging it.

Anonymous said...

Good point. Hatteberg should have done the interview. Then again, KAKE has all but thrown him into the old folks home.

Anonymous said...

Jeff did fine. KAKE scored a victory. Eff the haters.

Anonymous said...

That is a fact.

KAKE got the interview through ABC. It was not a great "get" on KAKE's part because it was handed to them through the Nightline deal.

Anonymous said...

omg... I just watched the Herndon interview. Let's see... He asked him questions involving his relatives, why Kansas is important, the governor's endorsement, his possible running mate, and basketball. The basketball portion was just plain idiotic, in my opinion. Either the rest of the questions were 1) scripted by Obama's campaign so he would have easy answers or 2) Jeff Herndon is a complete buffoon. My money's on the latter.

If I had that sit-down interview with Barack Obama, I would have asked, "Why do you refuse to sing the national anthem?" or "Why do you refuse to pledge your allegiance to the United States of America?"

Now, granted... I understand the interview was done for a "local" affiliate. But I don't see the point in asking him irrelevant and ignorant questions regarding the office he's running for. That interview did nothing to help Kansas voters decide whether or not they want to vote for the man.

Lastly, I felt it was clear that Obama was caught off guard by the ignorant questions about basketball. He couldn't speak more than 3 words together without saying, "uhhh."

Anonymous said...

Wow... the jealousy is running rampant already. Nothing was wrong with the interview. What question were you expecting that hasn't been asked to him already? And you people saying it wasn't a great get because ABC set it up are really sucking on some sour grapes. It doesn't matter why or how. The viewer doesn't know or care. All they see is that KAKE got the interview and that's why they had a leg up on the coverage. All stations catch breaks and KAKE got a big one on that day.