A critical look at the Wichita TV news

Monday, January 21, 2008

The Tale of 2 Leads: Weather or Marshall (Non)News

Monday brought a case of 2 story subjects that to me are a waste of time to cover to the extent the stations covered them on Monday. Are they stories? Sure, to some extent. That answer has less to do with their journalistic relevance and more of feeding the beast of content.


Weather - Let me first fend off those who say icy weather, like that which moved into the area late afternoon, can be a huge nuisance and can even kill. Roads were closed and many activities were cancelled. Was it worth leading like all of the stations did? Sure, no doubt about it. I will say looking at the 6PM newscasts I favored KSN's approach of letting Meteorologist Andrew Kozak handle the forecasting duties and even spoke over some video of road conditions. Once again I don't know where Dave Freeman has been. Wherever he is, he probably is grinding his teeth knowing he isn't on the air. I must say I really do like the FreemanLESS weather on KSN. Andrew, Leon and others have just stuck to what is going on and what could happen, but also treat viewers like they have lived in Kansas awhile and aren't dumb to what conditions can be like in January. Then they were on to other news. To me with that time spent, I learned that yes its slick out and that it could be a slick night around the area, but not talked down to. Frankly thats all I think I needed to know. Meanwhile KAKE and KWCH had more drawn out coverage. I think at least one had their "Team Coverage" moniker. On KAKE at 6PM, Jennifer Bocchieri couldn't resist doing the overused reporter shot of her sliding her feet on the pavement plus interviews with people saying basically the same thing that it is slick. At 10PM all 3 stations had reporters on the stories and were live somewhere in the area. The storm news at 10PM had more to do with the many falls around the area and ERs being busy. With that as a premise, KWCH probably did the best with that, actually having video inside an ER and an interview on camera with someone from an ER. KAKE I think had an interview from a hospital spokesperson on a phone. KSN, had a reporter I didn't recognize (I think she might be new) standing across the street from a hospital talking over video about the many slips, falls and wrecks around the area and probably with the least of the 3 on info. Its one thing to spend the least amount of time on it and give you the information you need as they did at 6. However, at 10 they spent the least time, but didn't give as much information as was learned by watching the other two stations. Once again someone will say its the story people were talking about so you have to cover it and this is the way we have always covered it in the past. So. Be different and mention the weather, show pretty pictures, let your weather guys show viewers they are on top of the situation and then get on with things knowing we are in Kansas and every once in awhile Winter will come a knocking.


Gregg Marshall - After weather the other big story of the day was Wichita State Coach Gregg Marshall basically saying nothing in his statement and dancing around the notion of whether he is interested in a coaching job in South Carolina. He had to do that since he is still involved in an active season with WSU. Why would he want people to think he is planning for next season and WSU is not in those plans? Once again it is a story that has to be covered to some extent. Now if I was in charge of the newscasts I would probably think I'd have to have it in my newscasts and probably right after weather as well. I think it has less to do once again with journalistic relevance and more to do with feeding the beast that is content. In someways I am sure all the stations were saying the others are going to be going all out on it so we can't be the one left out of the mix. And like weather it is a story on people's minds. But in the end or maybe several weeks from now, hopefully you can all look back and laugh how crazy everyone got worked up over a statement which didn't say yay or nay as to his future at WSU, even if he decides to pack up and head East. -Hal

21 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hal,
What do you think of KSN's plan to design and build a "dreamhouse" and then give the proceeds away to fight breast cancer? Hopefully it will be more successful then them getting ratings in newscasts.

Anonymous said...

Is it just me, or is Heath Ledger's death not worth A block status? Everyone else seems to think it is. I think it's sad for his family and little girl, but it's just another Hollywood death. Yeah, I said that. Release the hounds.

WichitaMedia said...

I guess I haven't reall paid a lot of attention to the "Dreamhouse" stories on KSN. I have seen a few stories, but didn't really look at it as a news thing. After the comment I went to the KSN site and saw the different stories on it and everything. I'll have to watch them a little closer and think about it. I will say it is unique. Outside of that I really don't know yet. -Hal

Anonymous said...

I know I saw Dave back yesterday, now today Andrew is back. He mentioned something about his voice. Wonder what happened? Besides yesterday it seems Dave Freeman has been gone 2 weeks. Also, is it just me or does it seem like Merrill gets ALOT of time off lately? I know we have talked about Andrew Kozak and Leon Smitherman;s good job of filling in for Dave, but Ross Jansen does a hell of a job for Merrill.

Anonymous said...

and also I haven`t heard much about the other stations lately either. Let`s hear the ramblings/comments/praises about them!

Anonymous said...

Last night and then at 5 and 6 Anthony was in for Anita and Andrew was doing weather again for Dave. There must be something going around in the air at KSN or something and people are getting sick. Maybe something eventually will go around with management there as well and they will see other people can occupy the main weather and news chairs at KSN besides Dave and Anita.

WichitaMedia said...

I think KWCH had the most worthwhile story of any station the last month tonight. The price of beer could go up. It wasn't that the reporter did a top notch job, (although it probably was good for her) the topic was interesting and one that many probably care deeply about. -Hal

Anonymous said...

http://www.ksn.com/news/local/11410621.html

Anonymous said...

KSN did the beer story MONTHS ago.

Anonymous said...

Actually that story said the price "could go up" at some point in the future. This is saying it is. One is a prediction that other is fact.

Anonymous said...

Looks like some of KSN's "Home" footage was shot professionally?

Anonymous said...

Anon 638 AM - I dont know which parts you watched, but I think KSN overall has been more enjoyable to watch with not only Powell on the desk but also with Smitherman and Andrew Kozak doing weather. There actually has been some what seems to be "down to Earth," natural coversations, Something you most certainly don't get with the present 2.

Anonymous said...

"Actually that story said the price "could go up" at some point in the future. This is saying it is. One is a prediction that other is fact."

Yeah, but the fact is, KSN was monitoring this story long before you. Sorry, you lose.

Anonymous said...

speaking of weather, has anyone seen KSN's new weather guy? My god it's MINI-FREEMAN! Someone needs to take that kid down from the clouds.

Anonymous said...

"Looks like some of KSN's "Home" footage was shot professionally?"

Are you talking about the floaty shots of the house? I saw that too... Looked cool!

Anonymous said...

Personally, I would not mind seeing KSN clean house in most of their news department. Freeman doesnt annoy me too much... he refers to me & my wife n air as "Friends" :)

ALL of the anchors are boring and have little or no personality. I really think the only reason Cochran is still there is because of who her daddy is.

Bergmann dresses like my mom did in the late 1970's. Cochran is just someone who reads well. Anthony Powell is like a monotone department store mannequin.

I would like to see more of Lauragail Locke in the Anchor Chair. She kicks butt, when she fills in for Bergmann.

Chanda Brown does a nice job of reporting, but is too serious. I also like Anne Meyer.

How about we bring back Sierra Scott also???

Anonymous said...

What happened to KAKE's Chris Sadeghi?

Anonymous said...

Hal-as a frequent reader of the blog, even though I am not in the news business, but have always been interested in it, I was shocked that you let a comment referring to Anthony Powell, about his delivery sucking balls get through.
Throughout your blog you have said you were going to monitor the comments. And yet, you let something like this, immature comment get through? People outside the business want to learn more about it, not be subjected to profane stupid frat-boy like comments.
Going back over some of your previous blogs, you blasted yourself for not keeping a closer eye on the comments...it's happened again. You need to bring credibility back to your site, by only allowing insightful comments.
Also going over your blogs, you said in one "I thought Anthony Powell showed why he is KSN'S best on air talent."
If I were Powell, I'd be upset about the comment you let through.
But I'm sure he doesn't really care that much. From what I hear from my friends in the biz, very few on air people read the blogue, because they are subjected to stupid comments that are so subjective. Look at all the criticism Katie Couric gets, she's making 15 million a year.

Anonymous said...

Some of the comments stoop lower than the car dealers. I wonder how many are from the news media and how many are from the public.

Anonymous said...

I have news for that poster plenty of people "In the Biz" read this blog because everytime something derogatory is posted about one of our anchors everyone is talking about it.

Anonymous said...

KSN employs a photographer who owns a steadicam and thats how they got the cool "floating" video of the house. But to say they had it "professionally" done is ridiculous. All photographers who work at stations in this market are professional.... or at least most of them.