A critical look at the Wichita TV news

Thursday, August 30, 2007

The Future of Local TV News

I must confess I got the link to this article from the kids at lostremote.com. (Steve, thanks for the comment a few days ago.) Now as always, some will discount this because even though the article wasn't written by the Lost Remote staff, some view anything on their site as anti-conventional TV news. I disagree with that notion and think the following article brings up an interesting topic. Actually the article comes from across the ocean and the Guardian. Although the subject looked at TV as a whole, and not just TV news, it mentioned how 85% of content is currently on tape so it makes it easier for it to be eventually downloaded to MP3 live formats for video IPod devices. And it says the TV industry could be going down a path similar to the music industry. However, a VP of Google says you will still need live TV for sporting events and news. I am curious how you think local TV news will change or not change years from now? The latest Poll question is on this topic. -Hal

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2007/aug/27/news.google

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just looking at the poll, I can't believe how some people are in such denial. I found the article interesting because I never saw TV compared to the music industry and never really thought about how quicly the MP3 really changed music. I agree people will still need over the air broadcasts for sports and news, but as investment companies continue to buy TV stations to wheel and deal them and costs become even of greater concern, I dont know how local TV news wont be changed. Also grab a couple of people in their mid to late 20's and even 30's and ask them how often they watch TV news or where do they get the news from. They don't watch TV. They dont have time. They get it off of the internet. As they get older and the kid age, the people might have more time, but by then they will be so conditioned to the internet for news, local TV news will be lost.

Anonymous said...

That's not all that will be lost. So will credibility and accountability and responsibility. There is honesty online.

Anonymous said...

That should be no honesty online.

Anonymous said...

Idea for a new topic -----

Best dressed? I refuse to watch
one reporter because she always
has miss matched clothing but
there is another one that looks beyond SHARP all of the time!
I know Kansas is windy. Some need
to comb their hair before giving
their report at the station.

WichitaMedia said...

Interesting topic idea. I need a few choices to make it multiple choice. It might also be fun to do worsed dressed, but then my name calling detractors would say I am being mean. Any ideas for best dressed, let me know and then I'll post that as the next question once the current one has finished this week. -Hal

Anonymous said...

I saw that KSN is expanding the noon newscast to an hour and is adding the 4th hour of the Today show now and putting Regis and Kelly at 11am.. any thoughts??