A critical look at the Wichita TV news

Saturday, February 16, 2008

Benton Plane Crash Coverage

I was settled in for a Saturday night when I heard in the commercials, prior to various newscasts, about a plane crash. Being the weekend, I found it would be an interesting test to see how the stations can handle such a story, thinking most of their more experienced reporters and crews work during the week. All the stations had live pictures from the general area of the crash. According to the live reports, the crash happened in a remote spot so all video was of flashing lights and of deputies directing vehicles on a road and nothing of the plane. All the stations used pretty much the same sound bite it seemed and had the same elements. I will give KAKE kudos for a phone interview from an eyewitness. KAKE had former KFDI radio announcer Jared Cerullo on the scene. I don't see him much on KAKE normally except when doing Crimestoppers stories. I thought he did a pretty good job, if (like I'll assume) he hasn't done a lot of live reports before. And as had been said I think before, I think he does as good if not a better job than most of the current KAKE reporters. He kept his composure and did a decent job for the weekend. Over at KWCH, Megan Strader handled things well. Correct me if I am wrong, but I think they were the only ones to mention the fact this is the 2nd plane crash to occur in the general area in less than a week. With not a lot of information known at the time, it was a decent tie-in. Meanwhile things at KSN were a little rough and it seemed like an intern, producer or someone normally not in front of the camera did the story. A gal by the first name of Aja?? (didn't catch the last name) did the live report and she seemed inexperienced and not very confident of the information she had. I think she might be a reporter, because I saw a story she did on Friday night about WSU text messaging and it was done OK. Tonight's report was much different. I know it is what they call breaking news and all, but it definitely came off looking the worse out of the three and it wasn't even close. If KSN was caught in a situation where they didn't have a reporter available and had to go to an intern, college student, producer or whatever she is, than that is maybe somewhat understandable. Still a stretch I think for a town this size. If she is an actual reporter than through no fault of her, one must ask what is going on there to hire someone with what appears to be very little experience. That is what bureaus and smaller stations are for: allow young and inexperienced talent to develop confidence, an on-air feel and style. -Hal

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hal,
I think this is her second week on the air. Believe it or not, Saturday's live shot was better than one I saw last week where it seemed like she couldn't remember where she worked for and then nervously laughed on her tag out of a live shot.

Anonymous said...

Hal-Believe it or not she is a reporter. I can only guess why she was hired. Could it have something to do with money? No, not in this day and age of t-v news. Couldn't be.

Anonymous said...

KSNers will not dispute. Just move onto another topic. We don't like it either.

Anonymous said...

wow - move on to another topic, eh? sounds as if someone's a bit sensitive. might i recommend NOT coming HERE if we can't take criticism?

Anonymous said...

leave the poor girl alone. anon number 3 you work at ksn? disgusting how you badmouth yourself. be ashamed.

Anonymous said...

Criticism is different than talking shi7.

Anonymous said...

It's easy for Hal to comment. He's never been on-air or in this biz a day in his life.

WichitaMedia said...

Anon. 7- I was wondering over the weekend if anyone knew who I was. Obviously from your comment you do not know who I am. The last thing I want is this blog to turn into a bitter back and forth name calling fest, however let me set the record straight. If someone is far from the rest of the reporters in this market, talent wise, they are going to get called out. I'll admit I wasn't good myself so I got the heck out. -Hal

Anonymous said...

Let's lay off bad mouthing each other and start giving constructive criticism. So "Aja" didn't do great on air. What should she have done differently? Taken a deep breath? Read from her notes?

Rather than bashing everyone for what they do wrong, tell us what we can do better - and how to do it. Since everyone on this board seems to be an expert in the broadcast field, and I'm sure you all were fantastic the first day you hit the air at every station on your resume, I'd like your professional - not catty - opinions.

Anonymous said...

Hal-you could not be more right. People who should not be in this market deseve to be called out. Wichita is NOT a starter market.

Anonymous said...

Hal-

I've been thinking about it a LONG time. I know you're not david hasselHOFF. Maybe you could be a star from the nbc series ER. That's probably not you either...do you know captain KIRK?