A critical look at the Wichita TV news

Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Kansas Caucus Reaction AND Graphics Mess Up?

Well a Weather Woody kind of trounced on the coverage of the Kansas Caucus. If anything I thought the weather coverage might have been a tad overboard. No I didn't need to see a shovel or ice scraper dipped in the snow to tell me that we had some on the ground (KAKE). I thought the stations were pretty even, although KSN had few cut-ins (if any) and the National News went an extra half hour and filled the 6PM time period. Since it was one party having a caucus and only one issue at hand, because it was a Presidential caucus, it had to be handled a little differently then a normal election. I would say two local reporters (in addition to a National piece) isn't overboard as long as the angle for the second story is somewhat different and legit, because afterall it is a big story collectively nationally. I am curious of your thoughts on this one.

Crazy KAKE Graphics: Someone first e-mailed me about this early Tuesday morning, but I held out posting it until I could somehow find out if it happened because it seemed so crazy to me. But after another 5 or so e-mails with the same story from different addresses I am sure it happened. I would be interested to see video (You Tube?) or a screen grab of it though. Here is the message from anon # 7 from the last post:

Did anyone else see the candidate graphics on KAKE around 5:15 AM Tuesday morning?! Someone in the Gfx department surely is going to lose their job... One candidate had a Hitler mustache, one had bucked teeth, and the other had Devil horns! What's the story with that, KAKE?
February 5, 2008 6:07 AM


As I said, if anyone else knows of this incident let me know more. -Hal

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I didn't see the graphic in question but I've had some people tell me about it. In response to someone who posted in the last thread who said they were going to file a complaint with the FCC to revoke KAKE's license....I think you're more then welcome to do that however I can't see it doing any good. Granted, the act was immature and whoever did it needs to be punished (probably terminated) but it's not like it was indecent, profane, etc. Keep in mind the whole F*** off Buzz incident from KSN a few months ago. That was during a 6:00PM sportscast and KSN didn't lose their license for that (and from what I undestand KSN's phones were ringing off the hook). KAKE's mishap took place in the early morning hours where viewership was at a minimum. This is just one of those things that is going to happen in the TV business. Granted, it doesn't happen often, but go to YouTube and type in "News Bloopers" and look how many things come up that are similar or worse then what KAKE put on the air Tuesday morning.

Anonymous said...

Anyone out there have this on DVR? PLZ upload it!!! :D Oh geez, I saw it, it was hilarious!!! It'd be a 'million viewer' video on YouTube.

Anonymous said...

I personally don't see the harm. If this were done on Leno or Letterman, it would have been considered humor. Obviously this was an attempt at humor. It did nothing to hurt those it was done to.

I like seeing the news folk lighten up once in a while. Thats why I enjoy Mike & Jamelle in the morning, they joke around and are not frigid and robotic like the competitors. They are willing to find humor in things.

Was it professional? Probably not. But in todays TV news a lot of the lines are crossed anyway. So sit back and just chuckle, it might make you feel better!

Anonymous said...

If it was at 5:15am then it was during a newscast. It wasn't during some infomercial at 3am.

Also, I wonder if people would be upset if it were done to republican candidates. Probably. But in this state, since it was most likely democratic candidates it doesn't matter.

Anonymous said...

Hal,

What are your thoughts on the coverage of the Republican Caucus on Saturday? Since it wasn't during the week, I think it gave the weekenders a chance to stand out. I thought 12 did the best, followed by 10 and then 3 who appeared to have major technical problems at ten. What are your thoughts?

Anonymous said...

I still wanna know about the hilarious Graphics! hah! Someone talk! Very curious how it went down!

Anonymous said...

And now another huge blooper from KAKE Tuesday night at ten... jeez, what's going on over there?

It's pretty obvious Cerullo was on tape because of the outtake that got on the air. If I were him, i'd be kicking an editor's a$$!

Anonymous said...

Did anybody else see the huge problem KAKE had during Tuesday's 10:00PM Show? They were airing Jared Cerullo's Crimestoppers package and when they came out for his tag somebody edited on one of his outttakes. He stumbled on some of his words then almost started laughing! He then looked around and said (something that sounded like) let's do that again. The camera shot then switched and came out to a visibly upset Jeff Herndon! Seriously, what is going on over there?????

Anonymous said...

Over at KAKE.com if you check out Jared Cerullo's blog, he's posted one of their show's Directors Tracks. It's about 10 minutes long and its from a show last week it seems. Might be something you want to go check out for a behind the scenes look at the madness at KAKE.

Anonymous said...

Thanks to Cerillo and KAKE for providing a good laugh. I enjoyed the wrong tag on the crimestoppers package. It could happen to anyone, and has, but Jarod's was particularly entertaining.