A critical look at the Wichita TV news

Thursday, September 18, 2008

Plane Crashes and Making National Stories Local

Two separate plane crashes, within hours of each other, made it seem like at least one of the three stations was waiting for a big story to break. Although this was certainly not a fatal crash, KWCH certainly made it appear as if they were ready for this to be bigger as they offered some version of team coverage for the early newscasts. KAKE and KSN also covered this story. I thought KWCH and KAKE did a nice job localizing it and finding eyewitnesses and it gave some urgency to it.
I really do not know what KSN lead with at 10PM: I don't remember. Sub reporter Aileen Simborio I think did something about the economy or stock market. But I lost interest when it looked like it was going to give me some local perspective, but instead was filled with stuff I had already gotten on the evening newscasts or the cable channels. I never understood this practice when local stations have local talent lend their voice to the stories. How hard would it have been to put a microphone outside the studio and get some local comment for that story? I normally would be against this, but if this is your only chance to make this a little local than go for it.
It is local news and if you make it appear as a local story bring me some local perspective into the story. Also Aileen has no passion when she reads. (KWCH's/Fox's Rebecca Gannon leaves me feeling the same way.) Aileen appears like she is being paid to read something on a screen and that is the only interest she has in the story. Its like half the time she appears she is reading it for the very first time when she is live on TV.
Finally A New Poll - I decided to add a new poll question. Yes, its lame and doesn't have much to do with any topics of the blog, but I am curious as to how often you read the blog. Please vote only once. -Hal

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

It has been years since Wichita has had really good anchors!

KSN has not had a strong female anchor since Melissa Beck left years ago. Reporters are another story. Excellent work on their part.

Susan was really strong at KAKE when she came returned to Wichita. However, as she has gotten older, I think her passion for news has slowly died. She has never been paired with anyone at KAKE who matched her skills like Roger did at KWCH.

Roger & Cindy are an excellent team and I enjoy watching them. If we could combine their skills with some of the reporters from Channel 3, we might have a great newscast!

Sorry KAKE I just can't watch you guys anymore.

Anonymous said...

KSN's presentation sometimes lacks urgency thus sometimes it may effect the way they come off on a story. However, they certainly are a welcome change from the over dramatic KAKE crowd and outside of KWCH's Michael Schwanke, Kim Wilhelm, and occasionally Megan Strader, 12's reporters always play it too safe and often don't have the details or don't have the complete picture. KAKE has things first often but sometimes it may be a little off or presented so over-the-top that it becomes difficult to watch.

Anonymous said...

KSN's reporters are very, very green. They are also unprofessional out in the field.

Anonymous said...

Very Green, Anon 8:40? Outside of bureau reporters, I think all of KSN's reporters have at least 5 plus toal years in the business and by appearance look like they have been been at it longer then the other stations'. If you are from Western Kansas and watching the bureau reports then I might have to agree with you about them being a little green.

Anonymous said...

8:40 PM,

"They are also unprofessional out in the field."

Please share your experience of a KSN reporter being "unprofessional" in the field...

Anonymous said...

Viewers don't care about green or professionalism. They care about who they trust to bring them the facts correctly and if they are interesting.

Anonymous said...

Off topic, but when do you let things stay on topic, Hal. Here goes another. I am all for TV stations doing charitable events and causes. They have the airwaves and I think the feds make them do a little as part of their licensing. I applaud all doing commmunity things, but as part of that can at least 2 of the 3 stations have a little tact when doing it and not rub in viewers' faces that they are better because they are giving. KAKE has done this a tad in the past, but currently it is being shown at KSN on 2 fronts. Last night Dave Freeman was strutting his stuff in a white "United" shirt for a United Way deal. I am all for charity and using him as a way to let people know is great but I think they take it overboard. Another example the Race for the Cure for breast cancer. Great event and worthy charity. But Anita Cochran pushes the event to the extreme and makes one feel everyone else isn't worthy. I am sure writing this will be unpopular to many, and know this isn't a jealous employee from another station. Like I said I am sure all stations do some worthy community events, others just chose to do a it with a little more poise and class than others.

Anonymous said...

anon! 10:18

THANK YOU!!!

I was so sick of hearing about the race for the cure, I am getting to where I do not want to contribute. Although it is a very worthy cause!

Did anyone see it when Anita had her Mammogram? A little too much for me.