A critical look at the Wichita TV news

Wednesday, October 29, 2008

KWCH's New Graphics

New KWCH look- Just in time for Sweeps (which should be starting real shortly), KWCH has debuted new graphics on their shows. It is a clean look using red, blue and white. No, it doesn't have stars and stripes. I am sure someone was waiting for that comment. Its not a bad look. It reminds me of another station's look, I have seen somewhere in this country during my travels. It's not overly busy and not distracting. The moving graphics getting into stories or signaling live shots are decent. This may happen and I couldn't see it, but I wish the backgrounds on those would move slightly, but that may not be possible. I haven't decided if the name graphics are the right size, yet. I was trying to find an example of a story with the graphics in it online, for the readers not in the viewing area, however the stories I saw online do not have the graphics inserted. E-mail me if you see one that has it.
Elgin Ray Robinson Jr. life verdict - I have been growing tired of the Elgin Ray Robinson Jr. trial. It is something that has to be covered. Yesterday a jury could not come to a unanimous decision on giving Robinson death so he will get life without parole. At 10, KAKE and KSN lead with the story. KSN basically repeated everything that was said that day and during the last month and didn't advance anything outside of saying his life was spared. I will give KAKE's Abby Barnett credit trying to advance the story last night. It can be an overused premise to find jurors and ask them to take viewers "behind the close doors of deliberations," and other metaphors. I was actually interested because a guy's life was being decided. However she lacked execution (sorry, bad word to use) in pulling the story off. If the normally strong Dana Hertneky (who had nothing new in her story on KSN) had Abby's material I think she could have pulled it off and made it better.
Sweeps Woody Warning: As I often say around this time, the scary voice guy promos are running so it has to signal one thing, Sweeps. As always little will change ratings wise, but will have to see if the stations' plans of attack change at all. -Hal

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

The colors are KWCH's from its pre-Media General days.

Anonymous said...

Or the red, white, and blue remind you of every Fox O&O's graphics.

Anonymous said...

Not even close when it comes to FOX. It is a different version of what most BELO stations are using I believe.

Either way, it looks sharper than the comp.

Anonymous said...

I really like the new graphics, also KWCH is in HD. Finally I can see local programming in HD on my new TV. Does anyone know when the other station will be in HD?

Anonymous said...

I think KAKE would rather go out of business than move to HD. Their parent company is out of money and they don't seem to want to spend any money on new equipment. I saw one of their cameramen out and about the other day with a battery so taped up it looks like they trash dove to get parts for it. Plus, I don't think I'd want to see Susan Peters in HD. KSN has a better chance at going HD sooner than KAKE.

Anonymous said...

Has anyone noticed Gray's stock prices these days?

With the A.P cutting jobs these days, the folks at Gray stations better start saving as much money as they can. The outlook doesn't look too good for them!