A critical look at the Wichita TV news

Friday, October 31, 2008

November Sweeps Woody Has Started

I don't know anything officially but it appeared Thursday marked the first day of the so called November book, based on all the scary promos leading up to Yesterday. I think the best piece of the day was one probably not even promoted as such. That would be KAKE's Deb Farris' story on a Pratt football player injured in September, back on the sidelines to watch his teammates last night. Sure we've seen a million stories like it, but they always offer some inspiration and compared to the other Sweeps offerings last night, I think it was the best. Deb should have gotten double pay as I think the promoted KAKE Sweeps piece for the night was hers on Vanishing Veins. It was OK but it didn't really interest me. I am sure it was average or better but didn't really peak my interest. After all I am a guy, that may be part of it, but it certainly was a story I would have been upset if I would have rushed home just to see it.
KSN heavily promoted a piece this week on gas prices and an interview with officials at QT down at their headquarters in Tulsa. By the end of Sweeps I think the promo might be the best one of the month, however the story itself kind of dragged on. Even with gas prices heading down, it was smart to do a Sweeps piece on the topic because about everyone has talked about the prices in the last few months. With the topic and the promo I am sure a few extra people tuned in. I did get some answers I had always wanted about gas prices like why prices in one area of town are different then the other when its the same brand of gas.
KWCH had an Answer Back 12 piece on delinquent taxes. I don't know if that was an actual Sweeps piece or not. Alana Rocha did a nice job and it was certainly better than a typical day's story. -Hal

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think KSN had their best start to Sweeps in Years: without Dave Freeman. I am sure he was sick or something, but JD Rudd filled in and does a heck of a job. He actually makes Anita seem more friendly and down to Earth than normal. Not an easy task.

Anonymous said...

KWCH's piece on deadbeat taxpayers was dead on arrival. No real victim, no emotion, no real point. Expect LESS. Is that their new brand? Gotta do better than that. It didn't justify the ratings points used to promote it the way they did.

Anonymous said...

TV news has got to stop overselling promos. These stories are pimped like they are breaking some new ground. Then time and time again the stories end up being the same old stuff.

I said before and will say again, sweeps would give a more accurate picture of stations if they didn't know the dates until after it was over.

Anonymous said...

One story that didnt even get promoted was a KSN News Extra on the Wichita Paranormal Research Society. It was overshadowed by the gas prices story done by Dana Hertneky. It was extremely well done. Kudos to Justin Kraemer. I say, though, thank God Dana's story finally aired because if I saw that promo one more time I would have thrown up in my mouth a little bit.

Anonymous said...

KWCH way oversold its business tax story. To the level that it was "anticipointment."

Anonymous said...

On KSN Rudd and Kozak frequently fill in and come off better than Dave in the personality department. They both have things to work on like Rudd's sometimes over-cheesiness and Kozak's sometimes repetitiveness but overall they are solid. Smitherman when he is on there for weather is good as well. His personality is certainly dynamic.
I like Dave, I don't mind Anita. I just don't like them together on the desk. It's phony and not down to earth like anon 8:09 points out.

Anonymous said...

KAKE'S sweeps piece was another useless beauty-tip one like they've forever. That was DOA.

Anonymous said...

BTW: Hal proves once again he doesn't know what he's talking about.

AnswerBack is Roger Cornish's weekly viewer feedback segment.

FactFinder12 is their investigative franchise.

Again more crap from someone who still hasn't said what his qualifications are for judging what we do.

Anonymous said...

Learn to ignore what happens on November and May TV. Its Pandering Season at all levels. There's a Promo running all weekend about Oprah's "must see Hour on Sex". Nice. A day before the election, and we get a crucial tutorial on Sex.

Viewers have come to expect this semi-annual over the top exercise before Thanksgiving and Memorial Day. It a circus tradition.

Its easy for TV Promo writers though. Every Promo starts: "You won't belive this amazing...." or "Tonight--information no parent should miss to keep your family safe". Or in the case of KAKE the implied message is I don't have to be so ugly.

I know that by December 1 though, I'll be safer, less ugly, and sexually confident. Like a bad movie, sweeps always has a happy ending!

Anonymous said...

Good point about Hal not knowing "Answer Back" from "Fact Finder." That seems like a big gaffe from someone who anoints themself media king. Speaking of KWCH, I get where they're going with this "In The Zone" series- about speeding in school zones- but come on, isn't that straight out of 1989? I bet that new guy who's reporting it was like, "are you kidding me? School zones? I did that 14 years ago in Chattanooga."