A critical look at the Wichita TV news

Thursday, July 5, 2007

Slow News Day: Watching Grass Grow is news

We've all heard the description when describing something as boring as watching grass grow. Well if you watched the KWCH 5PM newscast you actually were able to do that. I wondered if viewers were bored? (Actually it was photographed and edited well, but the topic was going a little far.) KWCH staff, I know you'll be upset. The story was about the rain of the past week causing grass to grow faster than normal and regulations in the city for grass height and lawn crews being backlogged. The citations given to extra long grass I guess is an angle and it is after all the 5PM show, but I still question if there was something else out there..
I have been out of town the past couple of days enjoying the Country's freedom, so I might postpone this week's in-depth topic into the weekend. The voting is over and photography and editing won by a pretty good margin. I have my opinions already, but I haven't been watching TV closely the last few days to cite examples for my opinions, so I'll hold off for that probably Saturday or Sunday. -Hal

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

It wasn't the lead. It was a solid story. The lead was Liquor Sales on 12 and 3 and an apartment fire on 10. Don't misrepresent things.

Anonymous said...

Funny...

KSN got a new picture of Paul Pettite with his tupae.. I blame this blog for making us compare his receding hairline pictures to what we saw on the TV..

Anonymous said...

Ragarding the first comment-- are you joking? Will you go to any length to defend a story as small-minded as "the grass is long"? Hal never said it was the lead, anyway. I'm reminded of a poster from a few threads ago who pointed out the four reasons that 12 is considered good-- their anchors. And this story finally proves it: Cindy Klose CAN polish a terd.

Anonymous said...

I have an idea. Let's put down our egos for a moment and discuss something we all have in common, the city hall camera ban. KAKE did a story on it yesterday, it's on their website. Shouldn't the stations ban together and get this changed? Or do people agree that individual offices are off limits? I think it's Vladamir Kolb at it again. Even Cherches didn't use gestapo tactics on Golimowski (may he rest in peace. Cherches, too, for that matter).

Anonymous said...

A story about city fines most people don't know abut that they can penalize you for not cutting your grass. The fact that most people's grass is longer now because of the rain than is allowed. I think it's a legitimate topic.

Yet another post by someone with no talent...aka a KAKE employee.