A critical look at the Wichita TV news

Thursday, November 1, 2007

Cheever Death Verdict and Sweeps Woody Warning

It was interesting to evaluate how the 3 stations advanced or maybe tried to advance the decision of a jury for the death penalty against Scott Cheever at 10PM. I know when I heard that the jury decided death for Cheever, the first question in my head was will he ever see the death chamber? KAKE headed in that direction and had a decent story on the chances of the death penalty ever being carried out. Good effort. KSN had a respectable effort with an interview from a member of the jury. By 10PM, I think many knew the news so it was smart to advance the death verdict slightly instead of just doing a recap of the day's events. I thought KAKE did this best while KSN probably finished a close second. Meanwhile KWCH -I bet this will throw anon #8 from the last post for a loop. Wink, Wink;)- just went for a recap of the day's events. Since this story had been the lead for the last week on most of the stations, I am used to hearing the same stuff over and over (even if Cheever testified today). A different angle, like KAKE's using Today's death verdict, brought to light a different (not necessarily new) angle.
-Sweeps Woody Warning - I forgot all about it until this morning when I kept hearing and seeing commercials promoting stories like the one on KWCH Tonight: it's once again ratings time. Lets start with KWCH's story tonight on a supplement which can lower one's blood alcohol level and not feel the effects of drinking. Maybe I had such high hopes for the product, that when they said it failed, my view of the story was tainted because I didn't like that the product failed. The topic of the story wasn't all that bad and probably did what it intended to do in getting people to watch, but it was a tad gimmicky. But isn't that what Sweeps is all about? KAKE opened Sweeps with a piece from meteorologist Jay Prater. He talked to a meteorologist who had studied radar images from the Greensburg tornado. I know my summary may make this sound like a boring story, but actually it was pretty good and KAKE, once again, gets my thumbs up for a decent Sweeps piece. Note to KAKE, it wasn't done in the otherwise in-your-face KAKE style. Maybe Jay should do more stories for them. I like his style, although I wasn't a fan of shooting excerpts of Prater from the night of storm, from a TV set. I know its about station self promotion, but I think it comes off as lame when you mix promotions into a news story. As for KSN, I don't remember seeing anything out of the ordinary for them or sweeps pieces. Maybe they haven't gotten the memo yet that it has started. -Hal

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are giving KAKE props for a Greensburg story. Both KAKE and KSN stopped caring about the town and its people months ago. KWCH is still doing a story, about one every week or two about the town.

Hal, you yourself said the coverage of Greensburg would be judge long term. Well it seems you think one sweeps piece means KAKE wins. But tell me, how does showing the same storm we've heard about a million times do anything. KWCH's stories have been about the town, about the people, trying to rebuild their lives. The issues they face and that no doubt some other town in Kansas will deal with again.

WichitaMedia said...

Read my post closer. When I wrote KAKE gets a "thumbs up," I was talking about the night's Sweeps piece. Outside of the KWCH's topic matter, KAKE's story was more interesting when thinking about the stories after they aired. -Hal

Anonymous said...

They haven't rebuilt much.

Anonymous said...

"KAKE and KSN stopped caring about the town and its people months ago."

Thats such a ludicrous remark... You apparently don't watch these stations or have any idea what is or isn't being aired on them. They both continue to have stories from Greensburg...

You're laughable, you schmuck.

Anonymous said...

There was a piece on KSN Thursday about high school kids from Douglass helping rebuild Greensburg.

Anonymous said...

Id like to know who anon#1 is because everyone I know at KWCH is hard working and are really nice people and gracious, and this person is an A**hole riding off their credentials and hard work and effort..

Anonymous said...

you know what's a real joke, the ONLY people who read this blog are people in the industry, do you think anybody outside the t-v world gets all this inside baseball?