A critical look at the Wichita TV news

Wednesday, November 7, 2007

The Writers' Strike Helps KWCH

Its been awhile since I have posted and normally I do everything I can to not miss a newscast during the ratings period of November. (Yeah promo and sales people, some people do fall for all the antics of Sweeps.) However, my viewing time has been limited quite a bit so I haven't been up to speed on much as normal. I will say nothing has really knocked the wind out of me as far as stories go. KAKE hit weather pretty hard at the end of last week analyzing radar images from the Greensburg tornado for a whole story and a piece that ran on the weekend updating individuals' stories we heard immediately after the storm. (I know the KWCH e-mails will come along right about......now, saying they have been on the story continuing to update it since it happened. They have, but I liked the presentation with the KAKE storm survivor update piece. This isn't a dig at the bureau reporter doing the majority of the pieces out there for KWCH, but lets be honest some of them are less memorable, because when the other 2 do stories out there they do them up big, send Wichita reporters and probably other people, produce and edit them up bigger than their normal car wreck and shooting stories. That can make them a little more eye catching and memorable when they run, like it or not. Curious of your thoughts on this one. I am sure a few are mad about my thoughts on this one. I could have made a separate post on this one.)
Someone e-mailed me and wanted me to go back to doing more periodic critiques of the daily newscasts. OK. Lets do tonight. It happens probably to every station at some point, and tonight it happened to KWCH. A 7 year old is shot. KAKE and KSN is there live with the details. I have said numerous times I am not a huge fan of constant crime stories, but it is a 7 year old. KAKE and KSN's lead must have been news to KWCH. Luckily for them the writers are on strike. What does this have to do with news in Wichita? Letterman was a rerun, even more reason (like they needed one anyway) why they could suddenly expand the newscast from 35 minutes to 38 and squeeze in the "Breaking news" on the shooting that happened a couple of hours earlier in the added extra minutes. -Hal

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

You're right. It happens to everyone. Now maybe the one KWCH person who attacks everyone else will shut up.

Anonymous said...

The Silence to recent posts from KWCH posters has been quite deafening. But it sure has been nice.

Anonymous said...

Sort of like your ratings...silence.

Anonymous said...

There you are, KWCHer. Forced out of silence by your sheer arrogance. Typical.

Anonymous said...

Just stating a fact.