A critical look at the Wichita TV news

Saturday, June 2, 2007

Flushing the Lead Story Down the Toilet

Maybe I need to be careful what I ask for. I was critical of KSN's fan story on the Shockers in the baseball tourney, but at least the story wasn't the lead. Tonight at 6PM, KSN leads off with Dana Hertneky and a story with new toilets opening in Old Town. The lead? It was made even better (not a good kind of better) with video of a City Council member leading a countdown for the first flush, similar to a ribbon cutting. Sure you can do a story on it, 30 seconds, even open up with sounds of a flush, but a lead? I know its Saturday, but I think they could muster up something better. KAKE lead off with the latest terror plot. KWCH led off with the anchor reading a story about water slowing things at a concert down in Winfield. None were great (probably as much as I questioned it when I first saw it the terrorism story was probably best placed), but at least they didn't go to new potties for a lead. -Hal



Update: If 6PM wasn't enough, KSN managed to outdo themselves and lead with the Old Town potties again at 10PM. Unbelievable. The others really didn't have a good lead either. Maybe those days, you just give up and don't do news.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

KWCH led with the terror plot which was the biggest news of the day. KAKE led with it early because they weren't coming out of national news.

Sometimes the biggest story of the day isn't local.

Anonymous said...

I was watching hockey and KSN led with a standoff and then terror plot .