A critical look at the Wichita TV news

Friday, June 22, 2007

Friday Discussion: Why KWCH Is and Has Been #1

(Note: This is part 1 of something I hope to do each week, take a topic suggested by the readers and devote a whole blog to it.)

I must say I was set to do another topic, but a commenter ("Jon") asked the question as to why KWCH is #1 and what are my feelings. He gave his own list as to why. Here is a link to that.



https://www.blogger.com/comment.g?blogID=4395444419053505268&postID=8268257677103783186



If you are an avid reader to this blog and the comments following the postings, you have heard many of these opinions expressed by me before.



The main reason they are #1 is their main anchors. I'll agree with "Jon" on this one. Lets be honest Roger, Cindy, Merril, and Bruce are what keeps this station number 1 and no matter what the KWCH employees and readers of this blog say, you cannot convince me otherwise. As I have mentioned many times in comments, outside of Schwanke, Wilhelm, and Grawe their reporting talent drops to probably #3 in the market. Looking at Roger and Cindy, they have a very straight forward and sincere delivery. They do not try to be overly cutesy or have terrible one liners. KWCH's main anchors for the most part appear serious on air, but Roger can get off a classic one liner from time to time and show why this is Wichita's best anchor team. They will remain untouched because for whatever reason the other stations are going for something completely different and something I don't think most conservative Kansas viewers want. (When I refer to "conservative," I'm talking less about politics and more about a Kansas way of life.)



At KAKE, Susan Peters can appear too pushy at times on the air and a little too dominant.On uplifting type Hatteberg's People stories, she can get overly gushy when returning from them. Jeff Herndon does what he can with Susan. Second only to Roger, I think he reads pretty well and can steer conversations with reporters well when needed. One negative is that at times he can turn his voice and be a little too schmucky big anchor type. It's a tough thing to avoid, and I think Roger does a good job at this. I think this is merely a pit stop on a way to a bigger market for Herndon. As much as I might praise Jeff, there still is an old school part of me that likes the tried and tested Larry Hatteberg. To Susan's defense, I'd be curious how she would come across if you could put her on the KWCH set, add their more conservative style scripts and format, and see if she would come across differently. I think she would. Don't get me wrong, I don't think she is Cindy, but it could be interesting.



"Jon" mentioned that the philosophy and talent is constantly changing at KSN. I think it needs to change again and except for Jim Kobbe, clean off the whole anchor desk. I just want to see the news. I don't want an act of what someone thinks a big time anchor should look like and that is what I get with Paul Petite and to some degree Dave Freeman on weather. Anita has been sitting in that anchor chair for a long time and I don't think the ratings have really turned in either direction for a long period of time to show she has promise. That isn't to say Anita hasn't had some crazy times, dealing with getting rid of a co-anchor and going solo only than to add a bad co-anchor as well as cutting sports awhile back only to add that back as well. She can read well, but I think she would be better just being serious on-air similar to that of Cindy. If she had a strong male anchor, she might work if she took a step back and let him control the show. If she did that now, the show would be a total train wreck.



As for other reasons for KWCH's dominance. I don't know if they exist, but I'd like to see the ratings for only the Wichita area viewers and than compare them to the statewide numbers of all their stations. Also I'd be curious to know what the age demographics are for the various stations. I'd think KWCH's average age demo would be older, KAKE's younger, and I have no clue where KSN would fall. Ten years ago, one could say the younger demo would be a good thing, but with the arrival of the internet I don't know if there are as many young viewers out there that still believe in watching local TV news. I'll have to assume "Jon" is correct on the coverage area advantage for KWCH. I do know in other parts of the state it is tough to get KAKE and KSN at times, but I generally have never had a problem with this and KWCH. I'll end at where I began with the main anchor desk. At times one can say like Jon did, that KAKE is trendy and I agree. I think they could, at times give KWCH a run for their money, if it weren't for Roger, Cindy, Merril and Bruce sitting at the desk. I'll be interested to see what you all have to say on this topic. Have a good weekend. What should I deal with next week, Sports, weather, photography/editing? Let me know. I'll create a separate posting that says, "Vote on next week's topic." Then just reply anonymously or whatever and write your choice in. On Monday or Tuesday I'll tally and see which one I'll do next Friday. -Hal

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

If KSN would get rid of Paul and Dave and move Mark to chief meteorologist and Leon Smitherman to anchor I think it could be a good show. What do you think Hal??

Anonymous said...

12 also has more staff behind the scenes (producers, photogs, production people) who are good at what they do any of the other stations.

Hal, I don't know how long you've been here but you do know that Roger and Susan anchored together for about 10 years at KWCH before she left the first time. then 12 hired Cindy and well the rest as they say is history.

WichitaMedia said...

I must say I have never thought about Leon Smitherman moving back to news and the main anchor desk. As much as I like Leon on camera, I dont know if that would be something good for him. However, I think Anita would be a better fit with him on camera, than Paul, but who wouldn't? Leon started at KSN as a reporter, then did weather, and fill-in-anchor for Paul on the 5PM show. I think Leon is basically a Swiss Army knife at the station: filling in whereever whenever and often times as good if not better than the normal people who hold those jobs. As for Mark as chief meteorologist, I have always wondered this. To the consultants and "experts" he may not have polish they think main talent needs, but is he perfectly Kansas and I think he conveys that and comes across very genuine and would be great. -Hal

Anonymous said...

Hal,
Breaking up the weather department at KSN may be the best idea yet! Leon to anchor is great because he makes the show worth watching when he does fill in. Mark to chief (although I think he would need to "polish" up a bit) and keep Andrew on weekends or even on mornings (not sure how old he is but the age gap with Stephanie might be awkward) and hire someone new for the remaining shift. Maybe getting rid of Dave from chief would help ratings. What do you think?

Anonymous said...

Atleast I'm not alone in the not liking Dave Freeman deal. Dave always seems to be pushing too hard and not be genuine, I have heard off camera Dave isn't the nicest guy either. Jay and Merril I feel are rather similar on camera compared to off camera, and word around the city is Mark Bogner is the nicest guy you'll ever run into if you ever do meet him in person.

Anonymous said...

People watch what they watch for a variety of reasons. Talent, content, habit, etc. No changes at KSN will have anything to do with that.

Anonymous said...

hey everyone..I found this website

www.davefreeman.tv

What do you all think?

How about if KSN put Dave on mornings and Mark on evenings?

I think we may have started something

Anonymous said...

Hal,

I've seen the numbers. So have a lot of people on this board. Your interpretation of them is wrong.

Anonymous said...

I think Strader is quite good at KWCH also.

WichitaMedia said...

So I didn't know the latest May Book numbers were released. So if people have heard or you know, please enlighten me on why and what part of my interpretation is wrong. -Hal