A critical look at the Wichita TV news

Wednesday, June 6, 2007

News lost in the Wind and Guns

It was a windy day, imagine that. All three mentioned this fact, and they should have, in spots other than weather. KWCH must have really been scratching their heads as to how to do a different story on the wind so they had one of their reporters from their Western bureau do a story on jobs and the wind. From a postal carrier, to a truck driver, to a nursery caretaker this story was nothing more than a way to fill 2 minutes in the newscast. The bureau reporter Megan Strader tried, but the subject matter didn't work and she maybe should have tried to take a little lighter approach with it. The serious approach to the story didn't really work.
Meanwhile KSN was firing all their guns (maybe not, but I couldn't resist the pun) with a piece on Ted Nugent and surprise surprise, guns. Outside of him firing a few guns and seeing one really big gun and the flash, the story was nothing more than Ted yelling out his propaganda with a few quotes from a gun opponent. I probably would fall on the pro gun rights side of the issue, but even I grow tired of Ted. I think everyone pretty much knows what Ted says on the gun issue by now and outside of his delivery and style there is nothing interesting about him. They could have easily just cued up something he said a few years ago and you would get the same exact thing from him. I would say this with Ted, if his delivery and style were monotone and not as argumentative would people really care what he had to say, even if he said the same exact things? I'd say no. He is an old broken record just rescued from time to time by ears falling for the act. -Hal

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hal,

KAKE launched an updated website today. KWCH did one late last year as did KSN. What are your thoughts on the web and who you think is on top in that regard. Maybe a topic for a full post perhaps.

WichitaMedia said...

I'll take that one under study, but to tell you the truth other than to try to catch a story I missed when it was on air, I rarely go to any of the TV web sites to find out what has happened through the day. I usually go to Kansas.com, because I think they cover breaking news better. Maybe the updated Kake.com will prove me otherwise, but I wont hold my breath. If they do it, it will only be for short honeymoon period of a week or two. -Hal

Anonymous said...

I would venture that the Eagle has a mostly automated system to put in stories. It's unlikely that have to put a lot in manually like the stations do but I don't know.

They are owned by one of the largest if not these largest newspaper company in the country. That gives them an unfair advantage.

Their page is also too clutter and not very easy to read.

Anonymous said...

For what it's worth, KAKE's new site design is pretty much the cookiecutter of its owner, Gray Television.