A critical look at the Wichita TV news

Sunday, June 24, 2007

Sunday Potpourri

I critique the newscasts often. I find stuff I like and often times stuff I don't like, but I must say on a weekly basis my most favorite segment is Roger Cornish's Answer Back 12 report. Note KWCH employees, I am praising something from your station, so I am sure I wont get any e-mails of disapproval. Tonight's segment was golden. After Roger took questions on Bob Barker and whether he was still around, despite taping the last show and who would replace him, they took a question from an apparent WWE fan. She was wondering why the station didn't cover a bit on the Monday wrestling show where the wrestling owner Vince McMahon's car is shown blowing up with him supposedly inside. In classic Roger form he assures the caller that he thinks Vince is OK and that it probably didn't happen for real. Great stuff.

After the last blog, someone commented that the ratings were out and my interpretation of why KWCH is #1 is wrong. I am curious to hear if there were any big ratings moves (I didn't know they were out) and why my interpretation is flawed. Let me know in the comments section.

Also another possible comment to respond to. On the Sunday 10PM newscasts, KWCH and KAKE led with stories centered around the violent weekend in Wichita. Not necessarily a play-by-play of the events, the two stories had focuses to then spin off of into the incidents of this weekend. Meanwhile KSN leads with a Gay Pride parade and a protester arrested apparently for getting in the way of the march. I am curious, especially if you saw the newscasts, what your feelings are? Since there was a number of incidents this weekend do you lead with the crime angle or do you admit there is crime and it will happen in a town of Wichita's size and lead with a totally different topic like a Gay Pride Parade? I am interested in your responses.

Also if you haven't already, please vote for the topic you want me to take up this upcoming Friday. Do that by scrolling past this entry and the following entry and go to the one titled, "Vote on Next Week's Topic." Simply click on "comments" and please respond by posting a comment anonymously with which one of the 3 choices you want me to comment on next week. On Tuesday, I'll tally the votes and comment on the winner Friday. -Hal

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I happened to notice tonight that all the weekend weather people are so much more down to earth and laid back than the "big 3". I don't feel like I'm being patronized or someone's being phony. What a difference from the week!
For that matter, I like the anchors on the weekend as well, with the exception that Shwanke does a great job, it's just Roger and Cindy have the longevity.

Anonymous said...

When the city is on track to set a new homicide rate for the year and it's only 6 months in then ya that is news. Anoter murder.

The pride story, while it may be interesting, is not a lead when the city is on the verge of its 30th homicide of 2007. It shows that KSN doesn't really know what news is.

Anonymous said...

KSN did the increased homicides story weeks ago when the spike first emerged. Also, the weekend crime was near the top of KSN's show. Get over yourself and realize that there's more to life than ghetto crime.

Anonymous said...

If you look at the hits on KSN.com, it shows that the pride story is quite popular on their site. Another fact, there were over a thousand people in attendance and that's a pretty big number of viewers. The murder rate is important, but its just another shooting/stabbing involving gang members in the ghetto. What will you see in that story? The same sound, police car, lights, crime tape, etc.

Anonymous said...

You mean more like ignoring news at 5 and leading with Paul Petite live from the animal expo or something like that. Get over yourself.

The crime rate in Wichita is skyrocketing and worth more than second billing. No one is watching KSN anyway. The May ratings shows that KWCH's 9pm on KSAS beats them. It is now number 3 in the market.

And KSN's most popular story is the game Mahjong so it shows you how accurate that list is.

Anonymous said...

KSAS isn't facing any news competition at 9pm and has American Idol as a lead in 2 days out of the week in May. Get over yourself KWCH employee.

WichitaMedia said...

So I heard that the Fox news at 9 had decent ratings from the comment, but if anyone knows of anyother high or low lights please fill me in. Also I still would like to know how my previous opinons are proven wrong with the latest ratings. -Hal

Anonymous said...

Hal - what do you think of Fox News at 9. Anchor..ETC?? I think Kim Wilhelm should of had the main anchor for that position. She is solid.

Anonymous said...

I hear Matt Makens is leaving KAKE?

WichitaMedia said...

I am not a fan of the Fox News at 9/KWCH reporter Rebecca Gannon. She is in many ways why I really cannot wath the show on a regular basis. I probably watch the weekend version just as much if not more. I just dont like the way Gannon holds herself on camera as an anchor, nor as a reporter. She comes across as very cocky and not very genuine. In one way she comes across as honest: she makes it clear I think through her delivery she is here to do her time and no longer and then move up to the next market. That's not necessarily a bad thing and is and has been an often used purpose for this market. With that said, Rebecca just leaves a bad taste in my mouth. Although I wouldn't mind Kim Wilhelm in that spot, I think Michael Schwanke would have been good for that role, but if they insisted on a woman, I would have preferred Wilhelm over Gannon. Now hold it KWCH employees or Fox producers, I saw the post that your ratings in May were good. To me, I just say pat your own selves on the back for a job well done, and think of it being less of a validation for your anchor. -Hal