A critical look at the Wichita TV news

Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Friday Topic Votes Counted and Other Stuff

The voting has stopped on Friday's in-depth topic. Of the 3 choices: Sports, Weather, and Photography and Editing, the winner is Weather. So on Friday, I'll dissect the weather operations from the three stations and tell you what I think.
On another topic, a commenter asked me toward the end of comments from the last post what my feelings of Fox anchor/KWCH reporter Rebecca Gannon were. The commenter also thought Kim Wilhelm should of had that job and what were my feelings. In other posts, people (Producers for the KSAS newscast) wanted my feelings of the Fox newscast. I guess they made some nice gains in the May ratings (once again if you have any hard nosed numbers and also why my analysis on why KWCH is #1 in a previous post is wrong, please let me know. I have been waiting.) I'll reiterate my feelings from the previous comments.
I am not a fan of Rebecca Gannon. She is in many ways why I really cannot watch the show on a regular basis. I probably watch the weekend version just as much if not more. I just don't like the way Gannon holds herself on camera as an anchor, nor as a reporter. She comes across as very cocky and not very genuine. In one way she comes across as honest: she makes it clear I think through her delivery she is here to do her time and no longer and then move up to the next market. That's not necessarily a bad thing and is and has been an often used purpose for this market. With that said, Rebecca just leaves a bad taste in my mouth. Although I wouldn't mind Kim Wilhelm in that spot, I think Michael Schwanke would have been good for that role, but if they insisted on a woman, I would have preferred Wilhelm over Gannon. Now hold it KWCH employees or Fox producers, I saw the post that your ratings in May were good. To me, I just say pat your own selves on the back for a job well done, and think of it being less of a validation for having a good anchor on the 9PM news.
Also people had heard that KAKE meteorologist Matt Makens was leaving. He is headed to Orlando. I haven't commented on him or weather yet, but I always thought there was one real important thing about him. He is unoffensive on the air and has a friendly style, that wouldn't push too many buttons. It was sometimes refreshing to me. But that's the general opinion I get from the weekend guys and gal here on 2 of the 3 stations. I guess that's a preview to my Friday blog. Here's the article from the Orlando Sentinel. They actually have a media critic there. WOW, what a concept. -Hal
http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/entertainment_tv_tvblog/2007/06/wftv_announces_.html

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hal I'm confused when you say 2 of the 3 stations. Do you mean there's one weekend person that is offensive, or am I just confused because technically there are 4 weekends guys? (and gals) if you count fox?

WichitaMedia said...

I lump Fox and KWCH all as one station, even if they have two people. Notice I did make sure I said guys and gal. When I say 2 of 3 stations, I mean 1 probably doesn't match up as for the consistant weather feel I get on the weekends at the other two. Check in on Friday and I reveal exactly who and what station I am talking about. -Hal

Anonymous said...

IMHO, i believe the weekend people are all in line with each other, with the exception that one or two seem a bit more animated than the others. The biggest disapointment to me lies in the morning meteorologists. One sticks out as being top over the others, but in general they need more coffee or something!

Anonymous said...

When you "analyze" weather please take into account that some stations would rather not interrupt programming even during severe weather. They believe life and death waits until commercials. You know who you are.

Anonymous said...

sounds like you're going to knock Kozak down. He unfortunately works for the number 3 station in town, but seems so much more "down to earth" than the rest. Sometimes he stumbles over words once in a while, but he in general is very calm and knows what he is talking about on the air. All the weekenders seem about even to me, although I will say Matt Makens is the best of all of them. Good luck to him, he deserves it!