A critical look at the Wichita TV news

Monday, April 2, 2007

The Battle of the On-Air Tornado

I was beginning to think it wasn't going to happen. I was beginning to think I had overestimated KAKE and their promo machine. Well then the storm brewed on the airwaves beginning at the 6PM newscast on KAKE. There it was. Clips from the on-air tornado they broadcast live the other night appeared in a promo. I must say they handled it classy for KAKE and actually credible. After the NCAA Basketball game, KWCH showed off their live tornado, as well, in a promo. Once again not bad and not over hyping what can be a deadly (although not from this one in Kansas) event. The technology the two stations have is unbelievable and if used in the right situations as was with these tornadoes can provide a good perspective. This happened in March so we have a long way to go in the storm season and I am sure these won't be the last caught live this season. However, I am not convinced KAKE wont start with the hype beginning as soon as........ well probably tomorrow. -Hal

No comments: