A critical look at the Wichita TV news

Thursday, April 19, 2007

From the Comment Box: Morning Shows Opinions

I received a post from "Jon," who wrote that I spend a lot of time blogging about the evening newscasts, but he would like to know my feelings of the morning and Noon shows. He suggested I watch some and comment. I will make it a point to watch a few weeks of shows and post what I think. However, I'll give you a few comments from the things I have noticed in my viewing from time to time. I honestly think Wichita has strong local morning shows. I must admit I do not watch them as often and with as critical of an eye as I do the later shows. Considering the producers are working with the "hand-me downs," from the day before, they make excellent use of what they are given and do create new content, all while having to stick to a strict format of time and temperature every few seconds and traffic reports, which always sound like play-by-play of hockey games.
I think KSN starts the day off with the station's best anchor team all day in Stephanie Bergman and Mark Bogner. One could argue that the morning show format allows for a little more personality and light heartedness to be shown. I give those believers that one, but when Stephanie has fun with Mark, it comes out genuine and not so forced or fake. These seem like people I would like to chat with at the local cafe with eggs and bacon. Once again, readers could say my last statement is further proof that it may be unfair to compare morning personalities to that of the 10Pm newscast. I still say, whether you watch at 5:34 AM or 10:07 PM, you have to have a connection with the people you let in an intimate place like your bedroom, through the TV. Stephanie and Mark definitely have that for their station, compared to those on 3 at other times of the day, who I'd be lukewarm to even let in my living room, feeling like they are selling me something I don't want.
KAKE's team of Mike Iuen and Jemelle Holopirek works and it is refreshing not to feel like you are on constant edge, compared to their evening shows. I also like Ben Pringle and didn't understand why he was moved to mornings awhile back in favor of bringing in Jay Prater. Jay has grown on me and both are OK. Ben kind of has that down home Kansas feel you get when you watch Mark Bogner, which enhances the morning show feel. Jemelle sometimes needs to be careful not to be like Happy Happy Cheer Cheer reporter Jennifer Bocchieri. Jemelle can sometimes get a little too giggly, but overall her personality is pleasant in the morning.
KWCH's team of Felicia Rolfe and Matt Mauro fit a number one station. As I said before, KWCH runs a pretty consistent safe ship, not taking any big risks and have personalities largely unoffensive. However I will say, I think Matt Mauro will eventually find himself in a larger city, but his biggest problem is one he doesn't have a lot of control with. I guess he could have a tacky fake moustache or something, but he looks really young. His on camera demeanor is OK, but watching him in "mute" makes me feel I am watching a student broadcast at WSU or another college. As far as Noon, I am a big Kim Setty fan. I think she is one of the most underrated personalities in the market, right there with Stephanie Bergman.
As I wrote earlier, I will take a little more of a concentrated look at the morning shows and report back in a few weeks. -Hal

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I like your blog. Interested thoughts on the morning shows. What about weekend news? I actually watch those more because my job doesn't allow me to be home in the afternoon/evenings.
I'd like to see what you think.