A critical look at the Wichita TV news

Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Weather Woody II

KSN might get the turnaround award after their performance on Tuesday's latest Weather Woody. For a storm that was hyped as much as it was on a local and national level, the system gave the local media a nice little "photo op" with a few funnels and a touchdown that looked equivalent to a dirt devil, all while not injuring anyone nor damaging much of anything. I must say the funnel looked real good on the three stations and unlike on Monday, we actually could see video of it on KSN. Like I have said in earlier posts, when a story is in or very proximate to Wichita, KSN can excel (that's not always a given). Once again today they did. Reporter Chanda Brown did a nice job interacting with the meteorologist during continuous coverage. She used terms that weather experts like to hear, yet "Joe 6-pack" in his recliner could probably still follow. As far as the newscasts, Chanda's package at 10PM was interesting on two points. First, the Australian who comes to Kansas every year for tornadoes was good as well as the video of all of the traffic while the funnel cloud is about. Clearly the others were putting all their marbles in thinking they would be able to find damage somewhere and interview the surprised homeowner and witnesses and make that their story. When that didn't happen they had to resort to just showing video. KSN, on the other hand had a little sidebar with Chanda's story and that worked, since the tornado turned out to be minor. Although I might be stretching it if I called their 24 hour turnaround (from their disaster in coverage on Monday to Tuesday) a miracle, I will say it was a very respectable comeback. Once again, though, it was closer for them to get to it as opposed to Western Kansas on Monday. I still question if they are indeed the "Kansas State Network." Despite Tuesday, they still don't have me convinced. They will need similar performances this storm season to prove me otherwise. Meanwhile KAKE brought in little used meteorologist Tanner Swift in a totally useless live story on the touchdowns in Harvey county. I know they had to use the "Team Coverage" banner, but was it really worth dusting off a little used meteorologist and dragging him out to a corn or wheat field so you had two people on the story? I don't think so. KWCH had solid coverage from their spotters the night before but, the station didn't perform as well on Tuesday. Although their reports during the break-ins were great as usual, the 10PM newscast wasted time, when they had one of the spotters live, then showed video, they had just shown during Michael Schwanke's report. Once again I am wondering if they had thought the tornado damage would be worse and thought they could fill the time with a longer story about that from Schwanke. Overall Weather Woody II proved a little surprising to me, especially with KSN's comeback and KWCH, who had so much promise on Monday, seemed to go back to the conservative "we are number 1" approach. -Hal

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hal--

Pretty good blog. I would say you worked in TV at some time, am I correct? You know too much of the "Inside Baseball" jargon and lingo to be a viewer only.

So far-- you make good points. One thing you might not know that will at times affect KSN's coverage. They have 10-15 fewer people in their newsroom than KAKE or KWCH. So they are unable to gamble on weather chasing as much as the other stations. In reality, as someone who, like you (I think), has worked in TV before, I think KSN does a pretty good job given its resources.

And I'd have to ask-- was KAKE and KWCH coverage over-the-top on Monday (Weather Woody I)? I would say yes. I would offer that KSN (while perhaps a function of being short-staffed) actually showed some common sense. Something we don't often see in this state when it comes to weather.

Thanks for the blog. Keep up the good work.

--former TVer

Unknown said...

I think Dave and the KSN team realized after Monday to use his other meteorologists more instead of only having Dave on with the radar. It made the coverage better. KWCH went on longer then any other station last night, and didn't have any live video I remember seeing.

KAKE had storm chaser Lanny Dean with the cam..


I hope KSN's ownership sells or does add employees, they had a mass layoff about a year ago and its dissapointing to see that occur.

WichitaMedia said...

I'll say I am an avid news viewer, but know a thing or two about the business.
As I have said beore in other posts, I understand KSN made some big cutbacks awhile back. And as I said in this post, I think that is a reason why they seem on air to be more hesitant of covering news outside of 45 minute radius of Wichita. Just because they are short of people isn't an excuse for not having and showing the goods, especially when they promote otherwise. Tuesday they performed well, but the jury should still be out especially after Monday. And did KWCH and KAKE maybe overcover Weather Woody I on Monday? Maybe, but that just further heightened the inabilities of KSN on Monday. I doubt they would run a disclaimer on the air saying, "Sorry we blew Monday, because we have less people (as you said anonymous)." Because they wouldn't do that, they shouldn't be given a "Get out of jail Free" card for Monday's situation. -Hal