A critical look at the Wichita TV news

Monday, April 9, 2007

Turgeon off to A&M Coverage

The worst kept secret in two states was finally confirmed late Monday, but by the time a face agreed to appear on camera, the 10PM shows were over. Give KWCH credit, they were the only station to break the news live, into Letterman, by saying a few players had just confirmed the news to them. The question comes, was it really necessary to break in for this, when after all 3 sportscasts, we were lead to believe it was only a matter of time before it would be confirmed that Mark Turgeon would leave for A&M. I would point out, however, the normal way most stations sign off when ending their reports is, "Stay tuned to Station (XYZ) and we'll give you the latest when it happens." In this case KWCH did do like they promised. Was a lot gained out of it, I dont think so, but I am sure we will be reminded many times through promos. KAKE had a reporter down in Aggie-land in the form of James Sido. I dont know why they even use a microphone on him. I went out on my porch during his report and I swear I could hear him screaming his cadenced delivery and acting like he was doing a bad impersonation of an ESPN anchor from Texas without a satellite and microphone. -Hal

No comments: