A critical look at the Wichita TV news

Sunday, April 15, 2007

Wichita State Woody Surprises

There may be some unsung heroes as far as the coverage of the Wichita State basketball coach goes. I cannot believe I am about to write this, but one guy who did a surprisingly OK job has been Casey Walkup of KSN. I am still pinching myself as I write this to make sure I am awake, alive and not under the influence of any chemicals. (Pause) Ok I checked I am not dreaming, am awake and am not intoxicated. Although I would not put him in my starting line-up, in the fill in capacity on this story he did a decent job. He probably filed the best news story of the whole event Yesterday, when he interviewed the new coach's family. Actually Casey might have found himself a new role in TV. He interviewed the coach's son who had a great quote where he said looking for houses was no fun. That got me to thinking. Maybe Casey could be the new host of the latest version of Kids Say the Darndest Things. Art Linkletter did it on House Party and Bill Cosby later did it in a show, now Casey could be the latest host. His writing on his stories is very primary. If he did a kids show, most of the kids he interviewed could probably give him some writing tips. So I think it might be a great gig for him. Heck, maybe it could be "Casey says the Darndest Things." Every sentence from his mouth would start with, "Cobra." Oh yeah he does that already. He would have to make sure he had a Kleenex or paper towel handy to wipe his upper lip occasionally.
I thought the coverage was strong on KSN. KWCH pretty much handled it safe like a number 1 station by not taking many risks and just scratching the surface and no more. KAKE handled it, like you would expect, a little crazy. I have one question from the press conference on their station. Did they think the coach was suddenly going to grow a foot or more as he was sitting, because they left all of this room above his head in their shot of the press conference. -Hal

No comments: