A critical look at the Wichita TV news

Thursday, April 26, 2007

Sweeps Woody Warning

Well and here I thought I would get a few days break from the Woody Warnings, then I turned on the 10PM newscasts and the heavily produced stories hit the airwaves. I thought they started in May, but no doubt we have issued a Sweeps Woody Warning.
First, KWCH, took on an issue close to those at their station. One of their reporters was severely injured in a car wreck months back involving an alleged drunk driver who had charges pending on him at the time of the incident. The information was very good. It could have been easy for them to exploit one of their own, but they did not. They used that situation as a hook into the story and then they told of the backlog of DUI cases at the DA office. One problem with the story. It was so jarringly different than anything else they do. The screen was smaller (I believe they call this wide screen or something. Its supposed to bring a cinematic, grandiose, and I don't know feel.) I think it is very distracting. There were real quick shots and everything. I thought it went a little overboard. The facts in the story were almost lost in the post production of the story. Was it better than a normal day's story? Yes, no doubt, but I think the post production work went overboard. Take a look.
http://kwch.com/Global/story.asp?S=6418130

Then there was KAKE. Jeanene Kiesling took on pets and what food should they eat. Like KWCH's story, it had way too many effects in post production. But unlike KWCH, the information in the story was lame. I am sure it will save a few pooches' lives. And I am a pooch lover just as much as the next guy, but this story was merely (like many Sweeps stories) put in the line-up to tug on the heartstrings of pet lovers to watch. In this regard not a bad strategy by KAKE, because when it comes to their animals, many (sadly) will more likely choose that story over something that could effect them like a backlog of pending DUI cases.
Again take a look.
http://www.kake.com/home/headlines/7206306.html
Update: I guess I was busy flipping the channels on Thursday and didn't hear all the story. In what could go into a compilation of classic local quotes on TV. A lady interviewed says of her pooch, "He's just got really bad gas that could just clear a room." Ok then. Thats a real fitting quote for a story that is about as equally as appealing. I also can only hear a pooch chomping down on a dog biscuit so many times.
Lastly there was KSN. I don't know if it was a sweeps story or not, but at the same time KAKE had the pooch food story, KSN was pulling in the demos with a story from their Doctor on female knee replacements. Way to go to KSN in trying to pull in the over 60 crowd. Metamucil needs to advertise somewhere.
Its just day one and already Wichita TV News expects a full month of Sweeps Woody Warning fun. -Hal

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Anita is fake fake FAKE.
I think the younger guys/gals on the weekend are tons better than what any of the 3 stations have on during the week. Few exceptions: Stephanie Bergmann, Leon Smitherman from KSN, and Kim Setty from KWCH. I know KWCH is number 1, but their reporters seem amateur.