A critical look at the Wichita TV news

Sunday, April 22, 2007

Its the Weekend, but tuck your shirt in!!

"Anonymous" requested a few days ago for me to review the weekend shows. I must admit I was "out of the viewing area" this weekend, so much of what I'll write will be generalities from other weekends I have watched and Tonight's 10PM. First I think the main anchors are all very solid, but at the same point varied in their styles.
At KWCH, Michael Schwanke probably would come off as the most outgoing of the three. Nothing too offensive with him and does a solid job. He seems very friendly and inviting. This newscast probably has one of the best segments in the city all week long, in its "Answerback 12 Segment." If you haven't seen it, anchor Roger Cornish takes viewers e-mails and phone calls on its coverage from the week. In fact, this week one lady called to say how much she admires Cindy Close and how she thinks Cindy should have Katie's job. Of course Roger always follows with a classic one liner of some sort, to make it a worthwhile segment more than just shameless promotion. Sometimes they address negative comments on their coverage. It just comes off real well and shows Roger's sense of humor which many may or not know about. Weather wise Ross Janssen is nothing flashy, but at the same time nothing to make one want to turn the channel which in many ways is winning the battle.
Meanwhile KAKE has the dean of anchors, Larry Hatteberg. I think he instantly brings credibility to the newscast, something it lacks the rest of the week when he doesn't anchor. You cannot argue that Jeff Herndon is a good young product and probably should be in the main chair weekdays, but I am just a little more old school I guess. I know he is getting older but I still think Larry does good and comes off well. Their weekend meteorologist isn't bad. He might come off like he is trying to be a tad smooth. Not a fan of James Sido in sports, I have commented on him before. In Tonight's newscast I must say, is it too much to ask a reporter to tuck his shirt in? I know its Sunday and the weekend and all, but reporter Chris Sadeghi needed to look at the rear view mirror or the car's side mirror and look over his appearance, before he hit air with his live story.
Over at KSN, Anthony Powell is probably the most straight laced of the three. He doesn't get off many one liners. He has a good voice and reads well. One drawback, at times he could use a little pick-me-up or a little pep. Although I must say it is refreshing compared to the sometimes phoniness seen on the main casts Monday-Friday. I'll admit it, I may have been a tad hard on back-up, back-up meteorologist Andrew Kozak in an earlier post. He might have a few issues, but does a solid job. Good turnaround. All the weekend weather guys are about even.
Tonight I saw again the KWCH weather promo where Kim Wilhelm and Michael Schwanke are trying to figure out a TV and Merril Teller comes in to save the day. The commercial says, something like Merril can't help to interrupt to keep you informed. I am hoping this is just a preview of a new style of promos to come. It would be fun and entertaining if they would move to this form of promotions, similar to the popular ESPN Sportscenter campaign.
Keep the comments coming and I want to hear what you think about the issues I bring up and stuff you like or don't like about the TV news in Wichita. Looking to the week ahead, we might have another Weather Woody ahead for Tuesday or Wednesday. We'll keep you posted if it develops. Also since May is around the corner, that means let the scarry music begin with promos for crazy sweeps stories. -Hal

No comments: