A critical look at the Wichita TV news

Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Bad Bowling Sound Effects and Good Pink Shirts

If a past comment on this blog is true, Tuesday marks the second to last day of Sweeps. As far as news Today, City officials tried to explain what happened in losing the $100 million dollar bowling tourney. All three handled the story very similar. I will say KAKE tried to get a little to cutesy with its piece. It had a graphic and it used bowling sound effects to reveal the numbers. It might have (I am only saying might) worked with a little better graphic. Nice try, but in this scenario they didn't hit a strike with that one. Two stations chose to lead with bowling, after the latest weather warnings, while one led off with the latest fatal shooting. Over at KSN, they showed off a reoccurring Achilles of theirs. For whatever reason in weather stories, they seem to have to interview Dave Freeman. In this case it was like he was just thrown in the story, just to throw him in. His quote didn't even match the story that well, talking about Greensburg closing off the town do to the possibility of severe weather in the area.
http://www.ksn.com/news/local/7636671.html

On an unrelated note, did the weather guys get together and all decide to wear pink shirts on Tuesday? Dave and Merril definitely were wearing pink shirts, Jay's looked a little closer to salmon color. I actually like the pink, and think it is brave for men to wear them. Although at 6, in the story with Dave in it, the lighting and the shirt, made his face look somewhat pink. (See link above).

Finally, I must note the comments for some of the postings are getting good. I like the spirited debate and that's in part what I hope occurs with this blog. In the last posting a few brought up a subject I kind of touched on about KSN doing the small town series. In what must have been a KSN newsie, the person explains how ratings are a marathon and not a sprint. I agree, but then the person went on to say that the Argonia stories are part of a larger series of doing profiles of small towns. The commenter said, add the towns up and you get an audience. OK, slow down there KSNer. I believe at one time you were number 1 or had higher ratings out West then you did in Wichita. I hope you aren't thinking that wrangling up a town here and a town there is cure all for your ratings. Just think, concentrating on Rock road from 37th to 13th, alone, and you probably would have all the people you could get out of doing a couple months work of small town pieces traveling the gravel roads of Kansas. Don't misinterpret me, I am not advocating focusing strictly on Wichita. I think the experiment has failed in the past for you guys. I don't mind the small town pieces and I actually hope you continue them, but I really hope you guys aren't banking on these to be one of the rocks of your Sweeps. -Hal

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hal- I'd like to know your thoughts on KSN's Live at Five segments. Especially on days when there is hard news and instead leading with Paul?

IMO, different is one thing but at the end of the day people are still tuning in for news.

Anonymous said...

They have since reformatted-- AGAIN.

They lead with news for the first block and then go to Paul.

Unknown said...

Seems like KSN is trying a different format every year, I would think this 5pm format goes hardcore news the whole way with a hired reporter doing a segment on the 5pm around the c or d block like Paul does now, with Paul back in the studio with Anita at 5 and 6. I'd think they keep the format rather similar at 6pm, its numbers are better then 5

WichitaMedia said...

This first comment asked me what are my thoughts on KSN's Live at 5? I actually commented on it back in April. Here is the link to that post.

http://wichitatvnews.blogspot.com/2007/04/not-renaissance-with-ksns-5pm-show.html

As I said there and again here, I think it is an interesting idea and one that could work if it had the right host. In the early 80's in medium and large markets a show called PM magazine was the rage, which this sort of reminds me of. Larger markets still have shows with that or similar titles today, with local hosts and segments. Some may say its not possible to pull a live show off everyday in a town the size of Wichita. So far I think they have gone to some interesting places and had interesting subjects. With that said, I think a downside is the anchor, Paul Petite. As I said in the previous post, a live show out in the field depends on the host. That host, not only has to move the show along, but most importantly must be inviting to viewers. I think he comes off very phoney. Some of the posts to this blog mentioned how the show has been tweaked slightly. I didn't think about it until I read the comments, because I really dont watch it much. So I sat down and watched it today and it has far less Paul in it then it did a month or two ago. Anita makes an appearance right after the intro to give the latest news. As I said, I think this show could work with a likeable host that everyone could relate to. The only thing Paul has added is hair to his head. I received a comment a few weeks ago and it was a little vulger in some spots, so I didn't post it. But one part of the comment mentioned how the person thought Paul had added some hair on top. I remember looking and thinking that his head looked a little fuller than it used to a few months back. A reader e-mailed me a link this week to his bio and "before pictue" on KSN.com and the proof is in the picture. He definitely did something. I added the link at the bottom of this comment. I have no problems with guys adding a little extra up top, but in this case I think it just sort of adds to his phoney act. -Hal

http://www.ksn.com/aboutksn/bios/news/3707191.html