A critical look at the Wichita TV news

Monday, May 7, 2007

Tornado Notes: Day 3

People were finally able to go back to their houses and see for themselves what the damage is. The local stations along with the National media were right there talking to the survivors. I think it was fairly even, with stories of people finding wedding pictures, rings and other keepsakes amid all of the rubble. KAKE (correct me if I am wrong) had the first interview with family of one of the tornado fatalities. Reporter Deb Farris did an actually good story for KAKE on the subject. Kudos to Deb. This is the 2nd time this week she obtained interviews with victims' families after tragedies. Its brave for these families to talk, especially to KAKE. Deb did a nice job with both stories and outside of Chris Frank and Deb, if it was one of my family members I don't think I'd let anyone else from KAKE interview me. I'd be afraid it would be over hyped and not done in good taste.
KWCH really went wild with some flooding going on in Hutch to lead the 10PM. They broke in numerous times with maps of the area. As for their coverage of the tornado, nothing that really sticks out except for a negative. They had a tribute to the victims, but I thought the music didn't fit the mood and something could have been done to give it a little more production value and make it seem as if some thought was given in tribute.
All three stations were pretty even, although KSN's Anthony Powell's story about flooding near Hutch was interesting. He rode around town on the front of a tractor in the bucket portion as they approached flooding mobile homes. An urgent and good story.
As the days wear on it will be interesting to see how the stations continue to cover this story and find new angles. -Hal

No comments: