A critical look at the Wichita TV news

Tuesday, May 1, 2007

Who Needs "Wild Weather" When You Have "Wild KAKE"

I have been out of the area the past couple of days, so I haven't blogged lately, but KAKE certainly gave me a rousing welcome with plenty of material along from its 10PM newscast. Of course we remain in the Sweeps Woody Warning and will remain in that through the month of May. As for Tonight, KAKE started off with its stupid title for its lead story, using the much over used "Wild Weather." Wild KAKE had an absolutely useless story on the fact it rained Today from the reporter. Holy Cow, get the "Team Coverage" and your storm trackers assembled for this news. What's it supposed to do? If it didn't rain, we'd have a story before long that we are in a drought. The story was made worse when the reporter, Deb Farris, appeared on camera inside a car with the windshield wipers on. It seemed as if the windshield wipers weren't even in need, because it wasn't raining at the time of the story. You mean to tell me they couldn't have chased a better story off of the scanner than this? Things only further plunged for KAKE as the newscast continued. In their Sweeps story tonight, the very creatively titled, "Randy's Recovery," told the the story of former KAKE anchor Randy Brown, a survivor of a motorcycle crash. If you read this blog at anytime, you know I am usually a fan of all things associated with Larry Hatteberg. I assume he did this story and not merely lent his voice. If he did the story, it didn't have that characteristic shine a Hatteberg story normally has. Once again there was way too much post production. It looked something like a health segment from the 1980's and a bad Sci-Fi movie rolled into one. Way too many unnecessary visual and sound effects. The story probably could have told itself without all the gizmos, but once again we are in a Sweeps Woody Warning.

Over at KWCH, they need to circulate a memo about not over thinking reporter appearances on camera. After the over-the-top Kim Wilhelm story the other day about toilet paper, Jim Grawe found it necessary to appear on camera mixed in with a shot of him and a door handle. I am sure its all meant to help with flow and timing, but it comes off as overly gimmicky.

And at KSN, I don't know if they got the memo yet that sweeps have started. I did however see a promo about a Sweeps piece running Wednesday night. Given what I have seen on the other 2 stations so far, I wont hold my breath.-Hal

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

KSN did a hometown series thing monday on haviland college which was interesting.

Anonymous said...

I like your blog. Who are you though?

Beacon said...

Yes. Who are you, and why include radio and newspaper stories?

WichitaMedia said...

As I have said before, I am an avid viewer who knows just a little about the business. As for your second question, Beacon, I think you mistyped. I haven't included anything with the newspaper and radio stations. Although I read and listen to both of those mediums, since there are 3 TV stations (4 if you include Fox) there is just more to compare and contrast within that one medium. Thanks for your questions -Hal

Anonymous said...

You still haven't said who you are. Are you afraid to put your name on your critiques?

WichitaMedia said...

I see this blog as merely a starting point for a conversation on the Wichita media. The conversation I think is needed almost as much as the blog critiques. Because of this I would like over time for my blogs to be merely a starting point for discussion on the topics at hand. There have been efforts for bulletin boards and other chat forums over the years. Some have been mixed in with columns over the industry. I hope my blogs strike a nerve one way or another and get people to discuss the topics at hand. It is an overused cliche, but I shouldn't be the focus of the attention, but rather the topics at hand should be. -Hal